BC Boards

one sided gripping slicing

My six year old challenge is injured (dislocated toe) and while he is restricted I thought I'd use the time in a small stall trying to get things calm in there. He tends to slice and dice (an open-mouthed run-by, not a true grip) on the come-by side. Well, guess what, in the stall, he will walk around gently on the away side, stand or down and relax, but as soon as I try to walk him on the come-by side he is nervous and wants to dive in. I think this walking and sitting in the stall is going to be helpful, but I'm amazed at how different he seems psychologically when the sheep are on that one side! Virgil Holland recommends looooooooong fetching keeping him on the come-by side and not letting him switch around so that he will relax on that side. Interesting to see it so up close and personal. He also is a wizard at making a sudden move so that he's back on the away and then calmly walks again.

I guess the only advice I want is whether I'm insane to be in such close quarters with him (seems ok so far).

nancy B

Guest carol campion
My six year old challenge is injured (dislocated toe) and while he is restricted I thought I'd use the time in a small stall trying to get things calm in there. He tends to slice and dice (an open-mouthed run-by, not a true grip) on the come-by side. Well, guess what, in the stall, he will walk around gently on the away side, stand or down and relax, but as soon as I try to walk him on the come-by side he is nervous and wants to dive in. I think this walking and sitting in the stall is going to be helpful, but I'm amazed at how different he seems psychologically when the sheep are on that one side! Virgil Holland recommends looooooooong fetching keeping him on the come-by side and not letting him switch around so that he will relax on that side. Interesting to see it so up close and personal. He also is a wizard at making a sudden move so that he's back on the away and then calmly walks again.

I guess the only advice I want is whether I'm insane to be in such close quarters with him (seems ok so far).

nancy B

You don't say how big the stall is?

Are you keeping him "looooooooong fetching" or "looooooooong flanking"? I don't get how you can be "looooooooong fetching" in a stall? Maybe I am not picturing this correctly? But whatever you are doing, if Virgil suggested it and it seems to be working—go for it.

Carol

Guest carol campion

Which foot is it on and could this be similar to Nancy's situation where that foot has been troubling him when going in that direction?

The stall is about 10x10 feet. the looooong fetches are something different that Virgil recommends in his book. I'm just doing little walk around the stall walls by my side. Sorry if I was confusing.

You don't say how big the stall is?

Are you keeping him "looooooooong fetching" or "looooooooong flanking"? I don't get how you can be "looooooooong fetching" in a stall? Maybe I am not picturing this correctly? But whatever you are doing, if Virgil suggested it and it seems to be working—go for it.

Carol

Guest carol campion
The stall is about 10x10 feet. the looooong fetches are something different that Virgil recommends in his book. I'm just doing little walk around the stall walls by my side. Sorry if I was confusing.

Gotcha

Just make sure on the close work that the sheep can't scare him or harm him. Otherwise you will undo the good.It should help make him more comfortable.

Carol