BC Boards

Help me find a ram

I'd like some input on breeds for a ram for this flock that I manage. There are several criteria, some of which I find ridiculous, but they're not my sheep, so whatever.

The ewes are pretty cross-bred- some mostly Coopworth, some half NCC, some half Romney, a wee bit of Katahdin (I think it's just three ewes with any Kat, and they're 1/4 or less). Entirely grass-fed, hay and alfalfa in the winter. NO GRAIN!

I'd like something that could be a maternal sire if there's a really nice ewe lamb, but mostly it'd be a terminal sire. I'm not looking to grow this flock much, and I already have a nice Romney for a maternal sire.

Must be/have:

1) Wooly. White. I suggested a nice Suffolk (we have some REALLY nice non-show bred ones on island), and the black head & legs were a turn-off.

2) Fairly fast growing. I often hold lambs over the winter (born in Feb-March, slaughtered the next May) to hang at 45-50 Lbs, but I've been trying to butcher more in the fall if I can.

3) Good feet. It's W-E-T here when it's not summer. Sheep with bad feet don't last.

4) Good parasite resistance, although I know this is debatable and subjective. No one ever says, "This breed is very prone to parasites."

I really liked the NCC rams I used, but they're both dead, as is the woman who bred them. These ewes are big, and disposed to having big lambs already, and if I wasn't careful, the NCC put HUGE lambs in them.

Going back to a Coopworth might work, but I like to keep the cross-bred thing going in the ewes.

I already have a lovely Kat ram from Pat Shannahan who I use on the first-timers and any ewes I don't want replacements from. The folks who own this flock don't like the look of hair sheep (yeah, yeah, I know), so breeding too many to the Kat is pushing my luck.

I'm waiting on one of my own Cotswold ewes to see if she has a white ram lamb. I've had great success with my half-Cot market lambs, but I've only got black rams right now.

Okay, this sounds like a lot of stipulations, but I enjoy these sheep, and the job pays well!

Any breed suggestions? I'm in NW WA state, but am willing to travel a bit to find a ram.

Thanks!

Ooo, Bill and I were on the same wavelength! I've been giving some serious thought to bringing in an IDF for a dual purpose ram. The IDF is very attractive as I only hold maybe three or four replacements per year now and don't need gigantic weights at finish currently. I don't know how they do on feet though - I think maybe Lenajo has them in her flock so I'd guess if that's true, that wet isn't a huge issue. I'm not a good judge as I've never had a situation that challenged feet.

Huh, I always thought IDF were hair sheep... shows how much I go looking at sheep photos! :rolleyes: If I can find a flock on the wet side of the mountains (for any breed), I can often find sheep that have been selected to have feet that can handle our wet weather. I have, however, been amazed at some of the foot problems people put up with! I like to trim my sheep once a year... that's if running up the road doesn't take care of it for me.