BC Boards

My Dog Isn't Fetching Properly

Most of the fetch tips I've come across deal with dogs that won't give up the ball—the opposite problem to the one I'm having.

Blake has a lot of drive and loves chasing the tennis ball, but half the time he is dropping it about five to ten meters before he gets back to me. He doesn't stop on his way back; he just drops the ball running and then keeps running until he is at my side. I am not telling him to "Drop it!" and have never had to. He's never been the least bit possessive of the ball. When he does bring it all the way back he just drops it at my feet without being told.

Another problem is, sometimes he's getting distracted by something on the way back (a smell he wants to investigate or a puddle he wants to drink from) and temporarily forgetting that I exist. When I call him, he'll remember we're playing fetch, pick up the ball again and bring it back to me, tail wagging, but even then he's still dropping it before he gets to my side. If he's feeling especially naughty, he might run to the ball, sniff it, and then wander off in the opposite direction. On these occasions, I'll call him, and he'll return without the ball.

Do you have any training techniques that I can use to get him to bring the ball all the way back, and generally improve his fetch recall? His general recall is pretty consistent—like I said, he is coming back to me, just not always with the ball!

He's a 7 month old male, by the way.

Thanks a million.

I would try to backchain this. I would start with a ball in my hand and hand it to him and immediately ask him to give it into my hand. I say "Getit" for the dog to take it and "Givit" for the dog to give it back.

Once the dog can do this, you could give the ball to the dog, take a step back and say "Givit" (or whatever cue you like) and the dog will need to take a step toward you to give it into your hand. Once he gets this part, it shouldn't be too hard to add that into the fetch game.

If you want him to drop the ball next to your feet instead of giving it into your hand, you might want to start by teaching him to place the ball on something by your feet and follow the same process. Once he understands running all the way to you to place the ball on something at your feet (a dinner plate or something), you can eventually take it away.

Hope that helps!

In addition to what Kristine said, don't go get the ball if he doesn't drop it at your feet, tell him to go get it and give your command for bring it to you. If you go get the ball there is no reason for him bring it to you.

This will mostly likely only work, though, if the dog actually knows a cue to give it to you. If you haven't taught your dog what "bring it here" or "give-it" or "drop it at my feet" means, he will also have no reason to bring it to you. :rolleyes:

Several techniques...clicker train the dog to bring it back to your hand. Reward him with something good (treat, tug, something) when he brings it back. Keep your throws short, don't lob the ball a long distance so he doesn't have far to bring it back.

But, what I do with ball droppers is to play tug with the ball while it's in their mouth.

Start with the dog in front of you, do a SHORT toss (a couple of feet), and then when he picks it up, try to "steal" it. You can start by "fake grabbing" it - and then if he kinda pulls away - cheer like he won the super bowl. Then, put a little pressure on the ball while it's still in his mouth, then immediately let go and cheer him on like he just "won" it. Slowly increase the amount of time that you "tug" with the ball, and always let him win. Once he's tugging consistently and doesn't give it up easily, then start to lengthen your throw. If he enjoys the game, he will drive out to get the ball and come racing back to play tug.

And, if he bites you while playing tug, suck it up...don't scold him. You'll teach bite inhibition after he understands the game and LOVES it.

Sooner or later, you'll have a dog that then you'll have to teach to drop the ball. But, that's another issue for another day. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Jennifer Akins

Trowbridge, CA