BC Boards

Deep snow and sheep

KrisK

Here you go - beginner's question number 10984 :rolleyes:

I don't have sheep yet. My plan is to get a small spinner flock (6-12) to start with. I have about 2 acres that will be fenced as their 'permanent' home and 33 acres that they can rotate through once the fields have been cut. I'm planning to put up a 3 sided shelter for wind/rain protection. This year we have had a 'normal' winter which means lots of snow 1-2 metres deep. Since the 2 acre area is where they will be during the winter, will they manage in this depth of snow?

will they manage in this depth of snow?

they will get to the hay...the bigger question is how you manage getting hay to them! At least with 6-12 you can feed square bales; They make little paths and pack down the snow, you'll find them laying on the hay you put out to feed them...or eating the straw you put out for the to lay on;

if they have shelter and hay...they won't have an issue;

Feed the hay away from the shelter so they have to venture out and get some exercise!

cynthia

Hi Kris,

I have 65 ewes in an area about that size right now, and while I have less than a meter of snow my sheep are doing just fine in it. I feed them out on the snow pack and they pack it down hard enough that I can drive a tractor over most of the area without sinking in.

With fewer sheep, you might have more of a problem keeping a yard open and packed down, but you also won't need as much space.

Agh......I'm happy to say I have enough snow right now! The area that will be designated for the sheep is actually fairly close to the house since the house was build basically in the middle of the hayfields. This should make it easier to get hay and water in the winter to them. And speaking of water - how do you manage water in the winter?

they can eat the snow as long as it isn't frozen rock hard; If we have lactating ewes (or bred by rogue ram lambs...like this year) we run an automated heater behind the barn for the lambs/skinnies we keep over the winter and we have stock tanks with heaters (that cost about $35/month in electricity...snow is cheaper) for our main group. We run a hose from our insulated hose bib and take the hose inside everynight. It is a bit of a pain,snow is way way easier but these ewes are due in the next month and are taking a lot of water. Many still prefer snow.

Cynthia

Snow...well, that makes my life much easier :rolleyes: I still need to plan for their summer watering needs. One of the plans I've been toying with is an inground cistern (below frost line so I could have winter water) supplied by the spring/summer/fall rains. I would direct the runoff from the shelter (metal roof) to the cistern. It will take some initial effort but in the long run should work very well. At least that's one of the plans :D

If you are so close to them why not just run a water line underground from the house out there and put a hydrant up?

Then you also have access to water in the winter time also.

Steve

Well, the fields are close but not that close :rolleyes: Where the sheep pasture will be is about 300 metres from the well. We're also on a shallow well, so I would prefer not to use my household water for the sheep unless I need to; that's why I want to capture rainwater instead.

Well the shallow well is nothing an will not hurt anything, My well is 25 feet here, and I water all of my livestock with it, and it is a good amount of livestock 300 meters would be a good way to push it though.

Steve