BC Boards

Finding it hard..

to get my BC to go toilet outside , for weeks I've been trying to get him to go outside...I take him out 3 times a day for at least 1 hour, he will walk and walk without doing nothing...then soon as we're in the house he goes. My BC is around 4 and half months old now...got him around 6-7 weeks had to wait for him to get his injections etc and only 1 month or so he has been going out...I'm thinking of trying to take him out more than 3 times now at least 4 times a day to see if this makes a difference. I would love some input on ways to encourage him to get him to go outside...I even took our Jack Russell(mothers dog) out a few times so when he went praised him hoping my dog would pick up on it :rolleyes: Any information/suggestions would be appropriated!

You're going to have to stay out with him until he goes, right now it sounds like he is holding it until he gets back into the house, probably thinking that inside is where he is suppose to relieve himself. Sometimes play will stimulate them to go, maybe a game of fetch. Do you crate him, does he mess in the crate? If you don't crate him, try it, that way you can get him outside before he relieves himself in the house, if your walks right now are after he has an accident there's no point to it, he don't have to go anymore. Watch him close in the house to see if he has a little ritual before he messes, sometimes they just wonder off, sometimes they pace a little, at that point hussle him out before he gets a chance to mess inside, don't wait for him to have the accident, at that time he has to go giving you an opportunity to show him the right place to go. You may have to wait him out, he may beg to get you to take him inside or look withdrawn because he thinks he's not suppose to do it outside. That's when a little game of fetch might come in handy to take his mind of holding it.

Good luck with the little guy.

Deb

One word: CRATE.

Read up on crate training and implement it. It will be both good for you and your dog.

Take him outside for 15 minutes. Use the command 'go potty' or whatever. Stand there, with him on a leash--no playing, no NOTHING. If he doesn't go--BACK IN THE CRATE for 15-20 minutes. Repeat until he does his thing. You'll get to know his schedule, and you'll know when he has to pee/poop. When you know he has to do one or the other, crate him another 15-20 and take him out again. PRAISE him ridiculously when he goes. 3 potty breaks a day for a 4mo pup is too few, btw. I would expect him to be going out 5-6 times a day.

Do not allow him the chance to go in the house. This means watch him ALL the time. Leash him to you if you must. If he has an accident, you need to ask yourself: "Where was I?" ...If you cannot watch him right that second--going to get the mail, taking a shower, etc--crate him.

I second sincere artisan's advice (or I guess, I third it now). And three times a day is WAY too few times to take out a young puppy. My dogs are all adults and can hold it all day while I'm at work, but when I'm home, my one year old female asks to go out about every hour--not to play, she really has to go and if I ignore her too long she will have an accident! Until he is house-trained and on a schedule, he should be taken out at least every two hours as well as after eating, drinking, sleeping, and playing. Also, am I reading it right that the pup has been allowed to potty in the house for the past two months? If so, that's what he thinks he supposed to do at this point, so it's going to take more work to teach him new habits than it would be to teach him to go outside from the beginning.

When he wasn't allowed to go out, we were using those dog mats which he would also go on. When we first got him the breeder was on holiday or something and the daughter of the breeder was the one selling the pups...so she basically told us he was around 6 weeks but couldn't be 100% sure, so we took him to the vet and they said wait at least another 2 weeks to make sure he is at least 6 weeks to get his injections, so of course after the injections we had to wait another two weeks before he was allowed out and as I said we used the puppy mats. Now I'm not currently working I'm able to dedicate a lot of time to training my dog, so as you said atleast every 2 hours I will do that from now on. He has done the toilet outside in our garden and I've praised him like hell for that. Sometimes my mother comes with me and walks her dog...not sure he is also distracted by his 'best buddy dog' lol so I will take him alone every time. I will definitely look into crate training...it's a method I've never seen before.