BC Boards

Which lamb bones are safe raw?

NorthfieldNick

So I had these two crazy lambs. They swam a pond. I didn't know sheep could swim. Their mother is currently being served on skewers at a local restaurant- the insanity was inherited :rolleyes: I COULD NOT catch these sheep (they were out on 23 acres)! Nothing worked. It was absurd. I was complaining about these lambs to a friend of mine, and he jokingly offered to come over with his .22.

Well, the .22 came over. All my friend wanted was the legs. The lambs were pretty skinny, and I have enough lamb in the freezer that I don't want to put the time into actually cutting them up, so they're dog food. These lambs were probably 80 Lbs live weight.

Which bones are safe for the dogs (44 & 49 Lbs) to eat raw? I know they can gnaw at any of them, but which bones would be considered more than just recreational?

The dogs are currently happily eating the trim that came from my friend quartering the lambs, but there's a bag of bony lamb in the freezer just waiting.

Thanks!

Edible lamb bones or for me any animal heavier than 20 pounds I consider everything except weight bearing bones. For me, I worry that the weight bearing bones (shoulders not included, more so the lower leg bones) will crack teeth and wear them down if they are chewed on for long periods of time. :rolleyes: Neck bones make for some good challenges and keep them busy for a while without the worry of them not being able to eat the bones.

I've fed a 200 pound ram out and every bit was consumed but the top of the skull, which made an interesting yard decoration for years.

When I cull sheep I have the butcher cut up the whole thing in one pound chunks and the dogs can eat them all.