BC Boards

Putting turns on a dog

Hi,

I was having a phone conversation this morning when someone said to me "it was time to put turns on the pup". I had no idea what this means or how to go about doing this. :D:rolleyes: : My pup is 13 months old. I only started to "work" him in August as he was too immature. I haven't been putting any pressure on him. Would you explain what this is and how to do it?

Thanks! I appreciate any light you can shed on this.

Elayne

Hi,

I was having a phone conversation this morning when someone said to me "it was time to put turns on the pup". I had no idea what this means or how to go about doing this. :D:rolleyes: : My pup is 13 months old. I only started to "work" him in August as he was too immature. I haven't been putting any pressure on him. Would you explain what this is and how to do it?

Thanks! I appreciate any light you can shed on this.

Elayne

I believe you are referring to flanks which are the clockwise and counterclockwise directions that you dog will go when working sheep. "Way to me" is the counterclockwise command and "comebye" is used for the clockwise direction. You will also eventually teach a whistle for each direction. There are many flanks used - inside and outside, and short and long flanks- depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

There is a difference between not putting too much pressure on a dog and not teaching them anything. You can start to teach flanks anytime after you start working the dog. This can be an involved process but basically to get started when you and the dog are going counter clockwise around the sheep, tell him "Way to me" and when going clockwise, tell him "come bye".

Vergil