BC Boards

Book recommendations

Jedismom

I love reading about other people's journey's with their dogs in addition to training type books.

Walking Ollie or Winning the Love of a Difficult Dog by Stephen Foster was so funny! The Dogs Who Found Me

by Ken Foster is such and interesting view into the world of rescue. I couldn't put them down.

Anyone else read them? Have you read books like this that you can recommend?

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Afrer I saw your post I added the books you mentioned to my book wish list and recieved "Walking Ollie" for Christmas and just finished it. I really liked it! I didn't really find it funny - I was sad for Ollie and for Stephen but I loved the way they came through it all and witnessing Stephen's 'conversion' to being a 'dog lover'. It made me really think about how hard it is to know what you are doing when you get a dog - it is a bit of a gamble to say the least!

Thanks for the recomendation - I am on to "The Dogs who found me" next!

Kyna

Just ordered some new books about stock work. But I do love Top Trainers Talk About Starting a Sheepdog. Also Vergil Holland's book. Anybody Can Do It was my first book years ago. Just got Julie Hill's book and Arthur Allen's book but haven't started to read it yet. Lessons From a Stockdog is good by Fogt. Also John Holmes book The Farmers Dog. N

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I was beginning to think I was the only one reading this stuff. :rolleyes:

Ok now here is the funny book. "What the Dog Did - Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner" by Emily Yoffe.

The grab your heart for a tight squeeze book is "Good Dog. Stay." by Anne Quindlen.

Enjoy!

Georgia

• 2 weeks later...

You're not the only one! I read books about dogs ALL THE TIME...everything from memoirs to fiction to training and psychology. I've read a lot more dog books than I probably should have. Seriously...these are the books I've read so far: http://www.tbns.net/crysania/dogbooksread.html I'm currently reading Donald McCaig's The Dog Wars.

"Good Dog. Stay" and "Walking Ollie" are both on my upcoming reading list. I'm glad to hear that people enjoyed them!

Ones I particularly liked are starred on that list. I know a lot of people here don't like Jon Katz and I have a sort of love/hate relationship with his writing, but I did like his new book Izzy & Lenore (which has a lot more Izzy, the BC, than Lenore, the lab).

I really really loved Amazing Gracie. I highly recommend that one, but there are others on the list that I enjoyed.