BC Boards

Rain

grenzehund

Light rain after a warm day makes sheep frisky, unless they've been kept off grass and then they'll really want to stop and eat, if they are that kind of sheep (typical of wool breeds). Harder rain makes most sheep heavy to work, and high winds are a killer - sheep get nervous when it's so windy that it becomes hard for them to hear where the dog is or smell him - and when visibility gets low they get very squirrelly. What "squirrelly" means depends on the sheep in question. Mine turn into racehorses. I've seen others simply lay down and refuse to move.

Every time you think you've got a "rule" for how stock move, you'll find an exception. I'm learning the best thing is to keep an open mind, be aware that any change can affect the sheep and your dog's ability to control them, and then simply try to "feel" the sheep reacting, rather than trying to read their minds. I'll leave that for the likes of Tommy Wilson and Alisdair.