BC Boards

Re-Train On Whistles

DTrain

I asked this question in the expert section but have not had an answer. Many of you have viewed my question so I would like to ask it of everyone. We purchased a stock dog from a third party. He has been professionally trained, he works very well and he comes from a good line. We expect he has been trained on whistles but, we have no idea what whistles, we have tried everything but have not been able to discover which whistle commands will work for him. We do not know the original owner but we do know the dog worked on a ranch and perhaps with other dogs. The question is, what whistles would you expect or try for his various commands in this situation, how would you go about this. I am not sure I want to even attempt to re-train his whistle commands. Thanks.

Instead of trying to figure out what his whistles were, I'd simply retrain him on a new set of whistles (assuming he's responding to voice commands now). That way you can choose whistles that work for you, and he really won't care once he learns the new whistle set. Many folks import or buy dogs and then give them a new set of whistles, so it's not an unusual or particularly difficult thing to do.

J.

Instead of trying to figure out what his whistles were, I'd simply retrain him on a new set of whistles (assuming he's responding to voice commands now). That way you can choose whistles that work for you, and he really won't care once he learns the new whistle set. Many folks import or buy dogs and then give them a new set of whistles, so it's not an unusual or particularly difficult thing to do.

J.

Thanks, I am begining to think that this is what needs to be done although I have no experience in this situation. He is very good on voice commands which is actually quite fun. I do find it odd however that I have not hit on anything he wants to respond to. I will give it a shot. Any further suggestions please pass them along. Dave.