BC Boards

Open Level Dog Cost

RHardin

Good Day,

I would like to get an idea of the cost for an Open Level dog. I realize the *whatever the market will stand* answer is the standard. I have also heard some of the prices in the 5-digit figures. Are there solid, competitive dogs available? What are some of the best options for locating those dogs? What is a reasonable minimum price to expect to start? I am looking and competitive in another working breed venue. I have a young dog but it will be another year or two before she reaches the competitive level that I am looking for.

Thanks.

RH

I think mid-four figures is perfectly reasonable; that is, I wouldn't think a $5,000 open trial dog is overpriced.

J.

Those are harder and harder to find, at least around here. Prices have really gone up the last couple of years, and even at the bigger prices it can be hard to find one. I'd guess a starting point for a decent Open dog is more like $6,000, higher for a more talented one or one with more potential or one that has proven itself. I don't buy and sell but i do listen, and that's my sense of where prices are.

Hi. I think if you're talking about a dog who is trained to and is *running* in Open, probably 5,000-ish (maybe has a slight kink or two to still work out). But a dog that is *placing well* in Open, fairly consistently, would be more in the 7,000+ range. Also depends on where in the country you are, and if you're talking sheep or cow dog. I've seen some very keen, but barely started (you know, the "get ahead" and "get ahold" type) cow dogs in Texas go for 3,000.

A

About SEVEN years ago (or so) , I bought an Open dog. He just had moved up to Open and was doing very well. HE was not a seasoned Open dog but a excellent dog that became a top Open dog. I didn't blink at the $4,500 price I paid for him as it was worth every penny and that was SEVEN YEARS AGO. I got a bargain at that price.

Fast forward to now and I bet that dog would be a heck of a lot more.

Diane