BC Boards

Belle to the vet Friday

This week I'll be taking Belle in to be spayed, and microchipped. I asked about getting her hips ex-rayed too and the cost for that is $60. Since I'm considering trying agility with her, would it be advisable to go ahead and have them done so I know whether she has any potential problems? She's just turning 7 months now.

Here's some current pictures of her:

Belle17Feb08017.jpg

Since I'm considering trying agility with her, would it be advisable to go ahead and have them done so I know whether she has any potential problems? She's just turning 7 months now.

I think it's a good idea. I have mine x-rayed every 2 years (not OFA or anything formal) just so I know what lies beneath. Mine aren't sedated, but the films still show my vet what he needs to see. Since Belle is going to be under anyways, I think it would be a good thing to do. Let your vet know that you are thinkng of doing agility, and that you want to know what he thinks of her joints for that kind of training.

At 7 months the x-rays your vet will do will be inconclusive. We've had some rescues done while under anesthesia for spay and some have come out with one hip "ok" and the other "questionable" and after adoption a year later when they are fully developed, both hips are fine.

I know for my own dogs I asked myself "do they look healthy, are they having fun without pain?" And if the answer is "yes" then I don't x-ray. I'm kind of the "don't ask, don't tell" kind of person. The level of agility we do is not hard and fast and constant. If I knew one of my dogs (all rescues) had "bad" hips I know I would be a wreck and worry constantly and would limit their "fun" so they wouldn't get hurt, or I'd stop asking them to do agility with me which for some would be devastating as they absolutely love it! And actually exercise and muscle strength is important for a dog with bad hips anyway!

They all get good food and supplements and seem healthy and sound and have lots of fun, so for me, personally, I'd just rather not know at this point! And as they age and act like they don't want to play anymore, then we may look at x-rays to see what we'd need to do to give them some comfort, not necessarily to keep them performing at agility.

It's such an individual choice though, and hard to help you decide - these are just my thoughts and decision. And with the dogs that we've adopted at a young age we have gone slowly and waited for growth plates to close before asking for any real performance.

Kathy

What a beautiful girl!!!!!! BEst of luck with her spay appt. Let us know how it goes.