BC Boards

Confused and losing ground

JL

Put away the shock collar and never ever use it again, go to the vet for a complete physical, and ask for a referral to a veterinary behaviorist.

In the meantime, Jean Donaldson has a book out called "Mine!" that addresses resource guarding. I agree that it is very odd for a seven-year-old dog to begin this behavior, but it also seems to me that it is very rare for odd behaviors to truly be novel and that there have probably been signs of oddness for a while now that were simply overlooked (this is not a criticism of you -- it can happen to anyone, particularly with small children in the house taking up much of your time). There may be a global reason for all your dog's behavioral problems but for me it helps to address one issue at a time and "Mine" is highly recommended for resource guarding. It contains a number of simple exercises you can implement to lessen your dog's anxiety about food and guarding.