BC Boards

How long an outrun?

Hi, Bev!

Back with another question. I am planning on running Haley in the Novice level at Bluegrass this year. It's about a 100-yard outrun. I asked someone if I could train at her facilities (3 hours away) because I need a longer training field. The response included a comment that I should have a minimum of a 300-yard outrun in this person's opinion before I entered a 100-yard trial.

Now, I would love to have a 300-yard outrun. First, there is the problem of finding a place to practice a 300-yard outrun in this area, since I have at most, an 80-yard facility to which I can go twice a week. Second, I saw a situation at a time/point arena trial this past weekend where the dog did not even see the sheep 100 yards in front of him, because he was trained to a much longer outrun and was looking for sheep in the field across the street. He nearly timed out on the outrun looking for the sheep.

What's your opinion on having a significantly longer outrun, then cutting it down? Versus working up to the outrun of 100 yards by reinforcing the positive and being in the right position to train/correct? And am I missing anything? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Liz

I sort of famously don't worry too much about that. But I have a very limited facility for training my dogs.

However, having said that when I do expect a dog in competition to run out further then he does at home he has got a very good outrun at home and he is obedient and working with me. Those are my primary criteria in determining if I am going to run a dog. I would not hesitate to run a dog 100 yards who had a good 100 yard outrun.

Getting to few new places on new sheep will be a big help to you. Certainly getting the dog comfortable out further will help as well. Dog never seldom run as well in competition as they do at home. So the idea behind having the dog obedient at 300 yards at home is that he will be obedient at 100 yards in competition. I think this is true. I also think it is true that if he is obedient enough at 100 yards he will be okay on the day.

Evaluate how he works when you take him to another place to work. If he is as relaxed and obedient as he is at home then go for it. If you get him away from home and can't stop him then you need to do some more work before you take him to the Blue Grass.

Finally, dogs need trial experience to get good at trialing. So if you think you can control your dog and get him to the sheep I would go for it.

Beverly