BC Boards

Cambridge/Boston/Cape Cod area beaches?

A friend and I are going to the Patricia McConnel seminar in Cambridge, MA this weekend. Between us, we will have 3 dogs and would like to take them to the beach while we are there. We have done internet searches and we can't find any beaches that allow dogs (at least not during the "season" - after Memorial Day).

Does anyone know of any dog-friendly beaches in the area? Or anything else in the vicinity that would be fun for the dogs? Cambridge/Boston/Cape Cod area beaches?

This is based on research - not actually having been to any of the beaches, but here's what I've got:

Cape Cod Nat'l Seashore (508)349-3785

(Rte. 6 Wellfleet)

40 Miles of Beaches

Dogs, on leash, permitted on all beaches, year round - excpet life-guarded areas.

Truro Town Beaches (508) 487-2702

(Ballston, Corn Hill, Fisher, Great Hollow, Head of the Meadow, Longshore and Ryder)

Off Rte. 6, Truro, MA

During the Summer (3rd week of June - Labor Day), dogs are only allowed before 9 am and after 6 pm; but, other times during the year they are allowed, on leash, all day. This may be the last weekend they are allowed all day - not sure when the 3rd week starts...

I would call these places to confirm this info. is correct...

If you are looking for good off leash fun, not necessarily a beach, I go to the Weston Reservoir with my dog all the time, there are a lot of hiking trails (easy hikes) a pond off one of the trails (where the dogs swim) and lots of creeks along the paths so the dogs don't overheat...

Also, I have never been, but the Fresh Pond Reservation (bounded by Fresh Pond Parkway, Blanchard Ave., Concord Ave and Huron Street) is in Cambridge and it is supposed to be great for dogs to run around off leash. You can call them at (617) 349-4800.

Too bad I am in NY for a wedding this weekend, I looked into the seminar (I really wanted to go) and I would have come to meet you!!

Hey, thanks for the info! I think the town beach was one I had found before when I first signed up for the seminar, but I couldn't locate it again (and dumb me never wrote it down!) I remembered there being some beach we could go to if we went early in the day.

I'll look into the other places, too The friend I am going with is older and doesn't have good knees so I don't know how much walking she can do, but we will play it by ear once we get there.

Bummer about you being in NY - would have loved to meet you! I'll report back to the boards on the seminar, but I can't imagine one of hers being anything but great.... :rolleyes: