BC Boards

Packed Pen

I do a form of the packed pen thing by working a dog against sheep caught in a corner. I certainly like putting an older, 2 or 3 years old, youngster in a pack pen if he has enough room to both get into the corners and out of trouble. I would be careful doing this with a younger dog unless I was really sure how he would react (in which case I'm not sure it would be worthwhile).

If a youngster is scared of sheep I would give him more time to mature and gain confidence before asking him to demonstrate a lot of courage.

If he is aggressive to sheep I'm not going to put him in a situation that encourages that aggression until he can control it.

If he is fearless and readily goes into corners the packed pen isn't going to do anything for him except maybe get him hit by a sheep he didn't see coming and either scare him or injure him.

So the packed pen, sure but with caution and with a reason. However, as I said I think when a dog gets to two or three pen work is very useful to teach them sometimes they need to grab and that they can be aggressive and rough if they need to and that they are the bosses.

Beverly