BC Boards

Feeding troubles?

Hi,

I have a Border Collie who has just turned 1 year old,

i seem to be having trouble feeding him, it seems like hes not interested in his food unless i hand feed him or put it on the floor.

i try and encourage him to eat from his bowl and he puts his nose into my hand and licks it as if to say, daddy you feed me...

ive changed his food to see if that would help and although its better he still doesnt "wolf" it down .

he gets plenty of excersise and is highly active, he looks and acts very healthy , but i think he feels a little underweight as i can feel his rib cage quite easily.

hes been wormed recently and i have kept this up reguarly.

he weighed between 21 and 22 kg for 2-3 months now, and im still expecting him to be growing or filling out for another 6 months.

i hope someone can help with this as im starting to get a little concerned about this.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

You may try moving this or asking this in the General Discussion part of the forum, you will get more input. Also try doing a search. I know this question comes up a lot with newer Border Collie owners. The Ask The Expert if for stock dog questions on working problems with their stock dogs. :rolleyes:

Matt,

You may try moving this or asking this in the General Discussion part of the forum, you will get more input. Also try doing a search. I know this question comes up a lot with newer Border Collie owners. The Ask The Expert if for stock dog questions on working problems with their stock dogs. :rolleyes:

yeah im sorry,

i noticed i posted it in the wrong section.

ive started another thread, so can a MOD please delete this..

Thanks

I have never heard of one of these finicky eaters actually starving to death so I wouldn't worry. I had one that looked like a fashion model but when he got hungry he ate and now he's a grand eater.

I offer them the food. I give them ten minutes to eat it. Then I tell them they are stupid and pick it up. I do feed mine twice a day, cuts down on the starving dog guilt.

Beverly