BC Boards

Jumping too high

The other jumping topic made me think of this problem that I'm having with Abby - we compete in AAC and she jumps 22". Abby wastes a lot of time and energy jumping way too high over the jumps. I think she usually jumps at least 4" higher than she needs to. Her jumping style is very bouncy (in flyball she jumps flat but not in agility) and it's a good thing she can make up the time on all the other obstacles.

Are there any exercises we can work on to improve her jumping style? It must be hard on her body to jump that high when she doesn't need to! At least we don't have to deal with knocked bars...

LOL - little did you know that jump chutes were already planned for this week's class :rolleyes:

Teaching extension and collection, and the cues for each will help. Dogs are generally energy efficient and if she is jumping way too high there's a reason...we just need to figure out why. It could be because she doesn't know how to judge the jump distance and compensates by going high, rather than risking taking off early or late.

I've found that jumping is a way under-taught skill for a lot of instructors.

I've found that jumping is a way under-taught skill for a lot of instructors.

I concur.

Around here there are jumping classes and jumping seminars offered for advanced dogs. I honestly don't see why solid jumping skills aren't taught at the beginning like weaving and contacts are.

I honestly don't see why solid jumping skills aren't taught at the beginning like weaving and contacts are.

IMO, it's because jumping is a hard skill to sell to new students. Students think they're getting ripped off when they don't get to do "stuff" - contacts are sexy, tunnels are fast...jumps are just jumps. I can't count the number of times that people tell me their dog is a great jumper because he can run and jump at the beach (in the woods, over their fence/couch/child etc) so they don't need to work on jumping.

For your average standard course, jumps are at least 50% of the obstacles :rolleyes: