BC Boards

gripping

Hi, Iam Ella and my dog is Shadow. she is a 2 1/2 year old BC. I found a great trainer that I have been with for a year now. Let me give you some history. I made many mistakes on the rearing of Shadow. She basically had complete freedom. She had to mind in the house, but had free run outside. She would go next door to play with the construction workers. When not there she would swim in the river all day long. Our house was only where she ate and slept. We have slowly taken ground back. Now she statys here all the time, except when she is with me. She is a much more pleasant dog to be around now. I am still working on a come, but shes usually steady in that as well.

I can tell you that she is very pressure sensative, has nice balance, very nice flanks, very little eye, not very biddable, she has been a hard first dog. At times I have wanted to quit, but I know she has what it takes to do a nice job, so we keep going.

My problem is she likes to grip. It is usually on tight work that she does it the most. She will come in, accellerate, then split one off and grip on to wool on the hip. My trainer said she lacks confidence and should stop. We always growl at her when she does this, so she does not get away with it. We had a nother trainer work her the other day. she said that When we're close, I need to move the sheep away from her so to take pressure off. I think this will work, but thought I would post to see if you had any ideas. I am so looking forward to the day when she works, like I know she can work. She has been a real experience builder :rolleyes: Thanks for all your help in advance.