BC Boards

Newbie questons

Hello everyone, my name is Nicollett and I am beyond green when it comes to herding dogs. But with four, three of which are rescues, I think it is time I at least learned the basics. We have an Australian Shepard-spayed bitch, with basic obedience skills. When introduced to Pygmy goats she runs large circles, and is easily distracted, we will probably just let her live out her life in luxuary, and not ask for her help with the goats. Then there are our two Border Collies, one a 6 year old bitch that was started with sheep. She is a willing (timid) worker, who uses the hard eye to no avail. Third is our 2 1/2 year old intact male Border Collie, who is afraid of the goats, and can't wait to get out of the pen, he has never been hit by one of the goats, and yet he is truly afraid. Lastly, is our Kelpi rescue-a neutered male, of an unknown age. This dog was used to move Boer Goats, and has had quite a bit of training. He became useless to his previous owner when the owner started running Great Pyrs with his goats. The GP's attacked the Kelpi each time he tried to work, so he quit. Since I have NO TRAINING in working these dogs I need your help. The Kelpi's previous owner said come-bye was my left, and away was my right, and there, is his signal to quit/down, and that is all I know. From reading some of your posts, there seems to be away-to-me, and so much more. If these dogs never work, they still have a home, but I get the impression, the Kelpi would really like to help with the little goats, but is not truly focused. He is TERRIBLE about being outside the pen, when I am herding the goats by myself, and will NOT stop whining. Once I'm out of the pen, he's fine.

So here are my first questions...is there a way I can encourage the Kelpi, or should I find a trainer post haste?

Are there any commands I should try on the Kelpi? He was professionally trained by a guy in Nevada I am told-I'm in California.

Is there hope for the young Border Collie, or should I just let him keep being a guard dog-he has bitten one unannounced visitor.

So here are my first questions...is there a way I can encourage the Kelpi, or should I find a trainer post haste?

Take the Kelpie in to a pen with some of the goats and give him a little 'shhhs" sound and see if he wants to work. If he does that should be encouragement so he goes around them. If he has much training he will stop when you say "down or lay down". If he doesn't stop take a step or two toward him. You might want to let him drag a 20' line the first time out. That way if he just runs amok you can catch him more easily.

If he wants to work and you want to pursue this you really should take a lesson from someone or go to a clinic. There is just too much to this to try and explain it all to you via this forum.

Are there any commands I should try on the Kelpi? He was professionally trained by a guy in Nevada I am told-I'm in California.

Is there hope for the young Border Collie, or should I just let him keep being a guard dog-he has bitten one unannounced visitor.

I sure would want to do something with this BC before he bites someone else. Again you can try him on the stock the same as he Kelpie but if you take him to anyone for a lesson be sure and tell them he is a biter.

Beverly

Thank you Beverly. The Kelpi goes into the pen, and is of some help, I guess my biggest concern was keeping me from confusing him. I talked to his previous owner today, and he said he took the dog for a lesson and he worked great for the trainer, then he brought him home and he wouldn't do the work. So my guess is, I need find a trainer in our area, the telephone isn't working for the trainer the previous owner used.

On a positive note: Another friend gave me a list of commands used with herding dogs, and with that list in hand, I took the 6 year old bitch out this afternoon and discovered her "just started" training was a lot further along than I realized. She knew bring'em in, get around, and look back. I knew she had that'll do already, and having these additional commands was very exciting.

As far as the Border Collie who bit, I will take precautions to make sure he doesn't have a chance to do it again. We live out in the country, on a busy road, and having a dog that will defend the property is something I can live with. I think I am going to have a sign made, people need to honk the horn and wait in their car for us to come out. When they do that, he is a perfect gentleman-so far. But I will still pen him when people are coming over, just to be on the safe side. I got this dog from my vet, who has both parents. She says, his mother and several siblings act exactly the way he does, so I think it is in his nature, and I have not as yet socialized him sufficently, but as I said, I can accomidate this dog.