BC Boards

Florida trials

blackacre

So, who's going this year? Has anyone been recently? I haven't gone for a few years and am curious about the sheep, the fields, anything else that you think might be useful. Yeah, OK, the FOOD! The year I was there, the Tindalls did a stellar BBQ thing one night and I can't help but remember the Chinese restaurant that Terry and I and Tom Lacy went to in the Okeechobee area. I think.

A

2008 will be my third year to attend the February trials. The C-54 is the most challenging, with the 450 yd outrun on a field as flat as a pankcake. The hair sheep are not dogged and become as wild as a herd of antelopes on the third open day, when the second field is used. Temps range into the 80's so conditioning is essential when traveling from the north. Set out is done on horseback, food and hospitality is grand, but watch out when you get the pack of Steve's drinking. Cowboy cracker humor isn't always amusing to this city girl.

Hey A.,

I see that you have generated a lot of interest in the Florida trials. Must be your magnetic personality.

Wendy,

I am interested in the fields also. The last time was when A. and I went. You were there too.

I haven't seen you in a long time. Since I am now officially going to winter 47 sheep through, I better see more of you This winter. (I may be pretty popular as none of mine will be bred and all workable)

Getting off the subject, old Merc did a great job of rounding up all my sheep this morning which were all over the road, the corn fields and the neighbor's yard . Maybe I should lay off a couple of more Lunkheads for a year to tune them up!

Wouldn't you know, I spend a fortune putting in perimeter fence and my sheep are knocking my new lighter gate off the hindges and getting out.

Sheep may be stupid but they are smarter than I am.

Terry

Wouldn't you know, I spend a fortune putting in perimeter fence and my sheep are knocking my new lighter gate off the hindges and getting out.

Hey, Terry, how's it going up your way? Have you tried putting one hinge pin pointing up and the other pointing down? Or do you not have that option? It's one of those easy fixes that never would have occurred to me except that someone showed me.

The first year I went to the Tindall's, I, too, was quite impressed with the small size of the sheep. I'm not sure what kind of flock they have now, but I remember a mixture and not all Florida natives.

The Steve's use a second field for the third open trial. The set-up for both is much improved from the time we were there several years ago. No more post on the hill. No more parking next to the croc canal. No more drunk cooks. No more novice handler sending her dog to exhaust sheep before the next run was finished, sending both dogs and sheep running full bolt towards the set-out, about a 1/2 mile away.

The third trial had a nice set-up with a separate field for the novice dogs. Not a large course, about 250-300 yd outrun. Dog-broke sheep, who would step on your toes in the shedding ring. Previous years had problems with the field not being mowed, but this past year it was mowed and it ran fine. Very well organized with the help of the Murphy's.

Terry, I would love to spend some time up there this winter. I need to get the young dogs out to a new field. Are these Kelly's sheep? Do you still have the suffolks? I;l give you a holler today.