BC Boards

Small Meltdown

r b m

**I posted this for Jeanne, but I wanted to get some other opinions as well

I've been training with my 2.5 yr old bc for about a year now. We get out there at least once a week, sometimes twice. My dog doesn't really like her away side, usually slices. Recently, we had a bit of a meltdown. She just kind of seemed to be going through the motions, no gusto if you will. So we backed off a bit and made the sessions fun for her by doing things she knows how to do(she could do no wrong). This week we're going to get back on track with some more serious training, but I told my trainer before we work on more difficult tasks, I really wanted to work on ironing out her two big problems: Trimming the top of outrun and slicing inside flanks.

For the outrun, I'd like to lie her down and set out about 50-100 yards away, step off to one side of the sheep and send her off balance, kicking her out with some pressure as she reaches the top. Can you recommend anything else I could try to accomplish this?

My dog loves to drive, but when things are moving at a fast pace, she's not willing to let go of the pressure on her inside flanks(and fetch for that matter) to make corrections. I usually lie her down first, then give the flank command. This works only 1/2 the time. Her flanks simply aren't square enough. To fix this, my trainer usually has me stay near her during the drive, I lie her down, step next to her on the side I want to send her, forcing her to square off behind me when I give the command. Again, any other recommendations?