BC Boards

aggression at the vets-anyone else have it?

KJ

Hi there-

I have posted about this maybe a year ago or so but since there's many new folks that have joined, I thought I'd ask again. I feel like I am the only person on earth that has a dog that is aggressive at the vets. I realize most dogs are not.

In order just to get shots (and he needs his teeth done desparately) we have a variety of drugs on hand...that is 4 alprozalam prior to the visit, then dormitor and torbitol during and the reversal drug too...enough that Shep needs 2 days to fully recover from the whole trauma. He is muzzled with a metal basket muzzle. But just to get near him to give the shots is a huge ordeal and takes about 4 veterinary staff and it's just very hard on all involved but mostly Shep. One opinion from a behaviourist is that dogs, when it comes down to it, need very little vet care really. This has never sat well with me, although it is the way it has turned out anyway. We've been kicked out by 2 vets and now we're working with someone really willing but he's her first. She has the scars to prove it. I find it remarkable that most vets seem to not know how to deal with these cases. Granted, they are doing quite well so to put staff and themselves at risk isn't worth it I suppose. But, does it make sense to euthanize a dog that's terrified to be vetted? Or is it in the dog's best interest? I feel really torn by this.

Regarding desensitizing him to the vet by going every day or so and doing meet and greets has not been possible thus far b/c I work, my husband works, the vet is 35 min away. This approach is still the plan its just so difficult to accomplish.

Also ACE is not an option and I am pretty sure its why he's the way he is in the first place.

So, I guess the main reason for this post is to see if anyone else has had this issue and to see how they deal with it.

Thanks for any advice or insight etc.

Kim

wow; not an expert but it seems extreme to put a dog down because he/she doesn't like vets. Perhaps the vet(s) don't like your dog and he/she senses it. Or the smell is too nasty. My girl is really testy at vets and two vets expressed concern. But her behavior was different that your's--she would dance around eventually" fighting for her life" as one vet put it. I could see that they were uncomfortable with her....She really didn't like their examination style.

I've since discovered that if I pulsate whatever part of her body is in the vets spotlight, that helps her calm down. For example, I can work with her feet / paws if when I hold them, it is firm, gentle and pulsating (squeeze, then let go but hold on, repeat). She does NOT like to held in a continous grasp at all. I've been doing this with her ears, legs, hindquarters & tail and it makes a really big difference. Just a thought, but maybe it would help your dog to get used to being handled like this.

About the smells: Take zinc for example (I've put it on her pink nose in summer). I can't even smell it, but as soon as I open the tube, she's gone. So now I a) open the tube--she sniffs and walks away; b. I treather --with something really good (not a dry ol' cookie) c) i apply it--gently, d) I treat her again. The treats also help in preventing her from licking it all off. Since you can't get to the vets that often, you may try desensitizing the dog to the smells like this at home. ...

Just some thoughts. Hope it works out....

wow; not an expert but it seems extreme to put a dog down because he/she doesn't like vets. Perhaps the vet(s) don't like your dog and he/she senses it. Or the smell is too nasty. My girl is really testy at vets and two vets expressed concern. But her behavior was different that your's--she would dance around eventually" fighting for her life" as one vet put it. I could see that they were uncomfortable with her....She really didn't like their examination style.

I've since discovered that if I pulsate whatever part of her body is in the vets spotlight, that helps her calm down. For example, I can work with her feet / paws if when I hold them, it is firm, gentle and pulsating (squeeze, then let go but hold on, repeat). She does NOT like to held in a continous grasp at all. I've been doing this with her ears, legs, hindquarters & tail and it makes a really big difference. Just a thought, but maybe it would help your dog to get used to being handled like this.

About the smells: Take zinc for example (I've put it on her pink nose in summer). I can't even smell it, but as soon as I open the tube, she's gone. So now I a) open the tube--she sniffs and walks away; b. I treather --with something really good (not a dry ol' cookie) c) i apply it--gently, d) I treat her again. The treats also help in preventing her from licking it all off. Since you can't get to the vets that often, you may try desensitizing the dog to the smells like this at home. ...

Just some thoughts. Hope it works out....

yes The tirggers of his hyper-sensitivity to the vets (reminder, the 4th vet) is really intense. We treat him outside, the vet takes off her white coat and stethascope, we have treats and balls and its difficult to pin point when he senses things arn't cool. Its like there's no fooling this one-he fights until he physically can't. Thanks for all your ideas. Shep has made me keenly aware of what is seen and HEARD...like when I try to do frontline...he hears the "chickt" of the dose and his demeanor changes completely. IF I continued to try and put it on him, look out...he'll snap and be really upset. So now, I open the Frontline hours before I use it. His sensitivity to all things astounds me. I used to think it was important to post about and getting feedback remains really valuable. But it seems most dogs really don't have any of his his issues and when it comes to vets (I LOVE YOU VETS BTW) he is just too much to deal with...not worth the risk. So he's ours, we will keep him as healthy as we can within our self-care-land, (I hate that) (teeth cleaning ideas welcomed) and we will go day by day as we have been for 3 years.

Hi,

i have a very aggressive collie

she hates,

men

strangers

other dogs

all cats (except t.c)

vets

cars

hats

and the vets always ask my mum if its OK for them to sedate her.

when we got her spayed my little sis had to go to the back of the vets to bring her out.

but what we have started to do is take a tin full of her fave treats for the vets to give her and she does calm down when she sees they are giving her things she likes

hope all that makes some sense