BC Boards

training question

allison04

I have a 3 month old male BC and am wanting to get him trained when he gets older and I have a couple questions first. When you have a puppy this young is there things that he should be doing to indicate that he'll be a good work dog? Also, I was wondering what I can do to get him kind of started before I take him to the trainer? Thanks for the help!

Just get some good manners on him, and let him be a pup. Traditional wisdom in my experience says you should wait until the pup is 8-9 months, before you start doing any somewhat serious work. Main thing is, you just want a solid, socialized pup :rolleyes:

I have a 3 month old male BC and am wanting to get him trained when he gets older and I have a couple questions first. When you have a puppy this young is there things that he should be doing to indicate that he'll be a good work dog? Also, I was wondering what I can do to get him kind of started before I take him to the trainer? Thanks for the help!

You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=14088

I think it's Julie P. who says a pup should know three things before going to sheep: 1) his name, 2) how to take a correction without crumbling/pouting and 3) umm, shoot, I can't remember the third thing, was it a recall? I'm not even sure now it was three things... :rolleyes:

One thing about #2- is that some of that is temperament dictated. Some dogs are soft, some are a bit hardheaded. Me? I prefer a hard head to a softie any time. But, it is good advice, to raise the pup so that he/she has experienced non-punitive correction- that is, nothing personal pup, you just can't jump/chew on that, nip, ....

Julie

You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=14088

I think it's Julie P. who says a pup should know three things before going to sheep: 1) his name, 2) how to take a correction without crumbling/pouting and 3) umm, shoot, I can't remember the third thing, was it a recall? I'm not even sure now it was three things... :rolleyes: