BC Boards

Working against the draw

Hi Jeanne

I am looking for any ideas for a good exercise to calm my dog down and ease her anxiety whenever sheep are pulled strongly to a draw, such as a paddock or exit gate in the fields where I work. I think that if my 2-year old Jet would worry a bit less about losing them, the sheep would stop trying so hard to get there. When she senses that sheep are trying to angle to a draw, she obsesses about holding them, and although I realize this is a good quality, she has such a strong presence that she gets sheep up on their toes and it becomes this chicken and egg thing - she is anxious, they are anxious, so she is anxious, etc. I can work the exact same sheep in the same area with my other dog and he has a different effect on them, so that they try less to get to the draw and are more willing to stay put or be moved about...which is why I think if Jet could learn to be calmer, she and I would find things went more smoothly. He is much wider in his flanks and stops them without getting too close to them, but Jet runs tighter, and perhaps this is the crux of things, however, I am not sure.

I am limited to practicing in this large fenced area, and I am starting to feel like my sessions are getting to be repetitive with Jet and I work at keeping the sheep at the upper end of the field. I frequently lie her down when the sheep seem settled away from the draw, I try to watch how close she gets, and I try to keep myself calm. Is this just something that time and experience will heal? Or can I be trying other things to help her relax and think a bit more without getting frustrated (her, and me). She is such a nice dog and so keen and I want to do the best by her.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have,

Donna Smith

Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada

Hi Jeanne

I am looking for any ideas for a good exercise to calm my dog down and ease her anxiety whenever sheep are pulled strongly to a draw, such as a paddock or exit gate in the fields where I work. I think that if my 2-year old Jet would worry a bit less about losing them, the sheep would stop trying so hard to get there. When she senses that sheep are trying to angle to a draw, she obsesses about holding them, and although I realize this is a good quality, she has such a strong presence that she gets sheep up on their toes and it becomes this chicken and egg thing - she is anxious, they are anxious, so she is anxious, etc. I can work the exact same sheep in the same area with my other dog and he has a different effect on them, so that they try less to get to the draw and are more willing to stay put or be moved about...which is why I think if Jet could learn to be calmer, she and I would find things went more smoothly. He is much wider in his flanks and stops them without getting too close to them, but Jet runs tighter, and perhaps this is the crux of things, however, I am not sure.

I am limited to practicing in this large fenced area, and I am starting to feel like my sessions are getting to be repetitive with Jet and I work at keeping the sheep at the upper end of the field. I frequently lie her down when the sheep seem settled away from the draw, I try to watch how close she gets, and I try to keep myself calm. Is this just something that time and experience will heal? Or can I be trying other things to help her relax and think a bit more without getting frustrated (her, and me). She is such a nice dog and so keen and I want to do the best by her.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have,

Donna Smith

Hi Donna,

I think you're right on most counts. Your young dog is still on the edge of being out of control. The sheep feel it and it makes them nervous. It sounds like the solution is continued training. Stay close at hand until flanks are clean. Try not to let her slice. If she does, stop her, use some direct pressure until she gives(turns out) and ask for the flank again. If you're consistant with this, you'll soon have better flanks and less nervous sheep. Try to work as far away from the pressure as possible until your dog is flanking better. Try to never let the sheep win and get away from your dog. In other words, don't put him in a position to loose the sheep.She will eventually learn to trust your judgment and start to relax.

Good luck, Jeanne

Thank you so much. Sometimes I let the sheep go back to the draw, with Jet in a down, thinking it would be better for her to have a mental break, then go start again at the draw. What I interpret a "break" I suppose Jet has interpreted as "losing." What about working on the flanks in the area of the draw for awhile?

Thanks again, I appreciate your response.

Donna Smith

Hi Donna,

I think you're right on most counts. Your young dog is still on the edge of being out of control. The sheep feel it and it makes them nervous. It sounds like the solution is continued training. Stay close at hand until flanks are clean. Try not to let her slice. If she does, stop her, use some direct pressure until she gives(turns out) and ask for the flank again. If you're consistant with this, you'll soon have better flanks and less nervous sheep. Try to work as far away from the pressure as possible until your dog is flanking better. Try to never let the sheep win and get away from your dog. In other words, don't put him in a position to loose the sheep.She will eventually learn to trust your judgment and start to relax.

Good luck, Jeanne

Thank you so much. Sometimes I let the sheep go back to the draw, with Jet in a down, thinking it would be better for her to have a mental break, then go start again at the draw. What I interpret a "break" I suppose Jet has interpreted as "losing." What about working on the flanks in the area of the draw for awhile?

Thanks again, I appreciate your response.

Donna Smith

Make it easy on yourself and the dog for a while, until the flanks get better. Try to stay away from the draw so the sheep will be easier to manage. Once your dog is feeling confident and flanking better, then try working close to the draw.

A really good exercise to develop your dog's lift is to allow the sheep to start to escape toward the draw and let your dog catch them. Make sure you send her in plenty of time to catch them, though. You don't want them to beat her.

Thanks! I will stick with this then. Much appreciated, take care.

Donna Smith

Make it easy on yourself and the dog for a while, until the flanks get better. Try to stay away from the draw so the sheep will be easier to manage. Once your dog is feeling confident and flanking better, then try working close to the draw.

A really good exercise to develop your dog's lift is to allow the sheep to start to escape toward the draw and let your dog catch them. Make sure you send her in plenty of time to catch them, though. You don't want them to beat her.