BC Boards

AGH! Peaches the duck ate styrofoam

KrisK

I caught Peaches pecking at a piece of styrofoam insulation on the side of the barn. It is a piece that wasn't parged over yet. I chased her away and DH has covered the piece with some wood. She seems okay but I'm just not sure if there is something I should do to encourage whatever she did eat to pass through her system? Is there anything I should watch for?

I had a duck who ate a cigarette butt out of an ashtray once. It was a houseduck, you see, because I had an animal behavior professor who made all his students take a duckling everywhere they went for two weeks. :rolleyes: Anyway, Spike began projectile vomiting after eating the cigarette butt, so I called my vet. The vet said it was a "crop imbalance" (whatever that is) and that it would work itself out. Which it did - whew.

Anyway, my advice for all duck maladies is call the vet and ask. Sorry to be no help at all. I'm extremely duck-ignorant and intend to remain so after my undergrad experience. :D