BC Boards

Canine Sensory

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

I created this thread because while I was feeding our cat Freckles decided to make chase. Well, I said "NO" and put my foot out in order to put something between her in the cat, since the poor cat was in a cornered position. I'm not sure what part of Freckles ran into me but after the whole lame ordeal was over with, I began to notice immense pain in my shin. I consider myself a pretty tough guy, but damn, the pain was pretty bad. Being concerned that Frek might have hurt herself I checked her out and found she was fine. Meanwhile my shin feels like it's going to fall off. How much different is canine sensory then our own?

Guest WoobiesMom

I think it has more to do with physics and the recipient of the delivery of force, etc. I remember my son saying something about it (he's a brain, Mom not so much). She may have got you in a particular nerve ending or vulnerable spot where she probably dispersed the impact across a wide space like her chest, I'm assuming. Hope your shin feels better!

Guest LJS1993
I think it has more to do with physics and the recipient of the delivery of force, etc. I remember my son saying something about it (he's a brain, Mom not so much). She may have got you in a particular nerve ending or vulnerable spot where she probably dispersed the impact across a wide space like her chest, I'm assuming. Hope your shin feels better!

I'm okay now. In fact afterwards I couldn't help but laugh a little bit. I mean, here I am a 210lb man in pain, while this little dog feels fine.

I'm okay now. In fact afterwards I couldn't help but laugh a little bit. I mean, here I am a 210lb man in pain, while this little dog feels fine.

Do you think her head hit you? Dogs have very thick skulls. My first Lhasa used to hop up in the car to look out the windshield, his head usually hitting the glass with a loud clunk. Just hearing that noise gave me a headache, but I finally decided that it couldn't be bothering him since 1. the clunk never seemed to register and 2. he kept right on clunking that glass. I've also had a collisions with dog skulls that left me far the worse for wear than the dogs. A shepherd mix hit me under my chin with his head, nearly knocking me out. I had to sit down I was so dizzy while he seemed fine. Some years back my 22 lb sheltie jumped into me when I was leaning over adjusting a jump. Her hard little skull left a significant bruise on my temple but the collision didn't seem to register for her either.

Guest LJS1993
Do you think her head hit you? Dogs have very thick skulls. My first Lhasa used to hop up in the car to look out the windshield, his head usually hitting the glass with a loud clunk. Just hearing that noise gave me a headache, but I finally decided that it couldn't be bothering him since 1. the clunk never seemed to register and 2. he kept right on clunking that glass. I've also had a collisions with dog skulls that left me far the worse for wear than the dogs. A shepherd mix hit me under my chin with his head, nearly knocking me out. I had to sit down I was so dizzy while he seemed fine. Some years back my 22 lb sheltie jumped into me when I was leaning over adjusting a jump. Her hard little skull left a significant bruise on my temple but the collision didn't seem to register for her either.

Her head possibly could have made contact with my shin. I can vouch for the hard head though. One time I was laying next to Freckles when she head butted me while snapping at a fly. I thought I had just been given a solid right cross!!!!!!!!!

Our old red heeler that we used to have always hit his head. The last few years he was here he was blind so he ran into everything. Pickup bumper, trailer hitch, door way, etc. I always thought it had to urt but he never seemed to mind :rolleyes:

One time Black Jack jumped up to get a toy and hit my jaw so hard I almost bit through my tongue. I know it wasn't his falt so I wasn't mad at him but yeah they have hard heads.