BC Boards

Fence post question

KrisK

Our neighbour generously left us about 80 - 8 ft. long perfectly straight! balsam fir posts. They are the ideal size for fence posts and free to boot! I was planning to buy cedar this fall but if I can use these for fencing, I will. If not, they won't go to waste as I'll use them for rafters in the pole barn. Would they be okay and if so, what would you treat them with to help prevent rotting?

Our neighbour generously left us about 80 - 8 ft. long perfectly straight! balsam fir posts. They are the ideal size for fence posts and free to boot! I was planning to buy cedar this fall but if I can use these for fencing, I will. If not, they won't go to waste as I'll use them for rafters in the pole barn. Would they be okay and if so, what would you treat them with to help prevent rotting?

Pine seems really soft for fence posts, to me..but please wait for other opinions.

Yay neighbours!

Did your sweetpea get home safe and sound?

I posted this question on another forum and the answers were all the same - use it in the building not in the ground :D So, now I'll have a pole building :rolleyes:

As for sweetpea....I'm assuming you mean my daughter and the 'LadyBug'? They did indeed arrive safe and sound. Life around the house hasn't been quite the same with an infant but we're all managing quite well - even the dogs :D