BC Boards

Left handed hoof clippers

Guest pax

Any ideas on where, how, or which pair?

I'm a leftie. My ex is a leftie. We have hoof knives and nippers, etc, but the actual shears turn out to be a bit tricky for us to use. We had a hoof trimming lesson today and I'd like to do my girlies, too.

The only one I know of that might work is the serrated trimmers by Premier 1 (and other companies carry a similar make). It's the only one I've ever used that doesn't have a cutting surface that is not canted to be more comfortable for a right handed person. These are like the old type I have used for years and they are striaght on, not canted a bit...but I've never actually heard of a "left or right" handed hoof trimmer. I guess I never actually looked.

The only one I know of that might work is the serrated trimmers by Premier 1 (and other companies carry a similar make). It's the only one I've ever used that doesn't have a cutting surface that is not canted to be more comfortable for a right handed person. These are like the old type I have used for years and they are striaght on, not canted a bit...but I've never actually heard of a "left or right" handed hoof trimmer. I guess I never actually looked.

Thank you. That's a help. Most people don't know there's not just a difference in the handles, it's the way the blades are laid on, too.

I'll give this a shot.

Felco makes a left-handed version of some of its pruning shears; I wonder if they make an LH sheep foot trimmer?

Nothing to do with sheep feet, but here's a leftie friend of ours who makes wooden spoons. There's a left-handed verison of anything he makes if it isn't symetrical.

http://www.woodspoon.com/

In fact, I have a pair of Felco clippers and I took them with me to Mark's farm to compare, and mine are pruners, not shears. (I wasn't sure, they got unearthed from my husband's tool hoard.) The edge is curved. I saw the left handed pruners on the Felco site, and on Monday I mean to ring them and find out if they might, possibly, have a few odd pairs of lefty shears or maybe how many they need to have ordered to do a special run or something.

We could probably easily make do with the hoof knives we already have, as sheeps' hooves appear to be much softer than horses, but it's nice to have a good useful tool in the arsenal if I can have it.

Thank you for the link to your friend's site. I like that ladle with a spout. I'm going to contact him, too, for the left handed version of that.