BC Boards

Question for Rebecca

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

Rebecca,

You mentioned in a previous thread about teaching a dog to walk on a loose leash by moving backwards everytime they pull. I've been doing that with Woobie with a little bit of success but was wondering, do you snap the leash and give a correction or just start moving backwards and use steady tension to pull the dog back? Woobie will turn around and start walking towards me when I do it and as soon as he gets next to me I start walking forward again. Thanks for the info!

Woobie's Mom

No correction. You just walk backwards. Not when they PULL, when they forge ahead. The leash will still have a ton of play in it - I use a twenty five foot leash or longer. There will never be tension on the leash. If your dog is lunging so quickly that you don't have play, you've got to take this a step back and work on the dog's attitude toward you. That's another thread. :rolleyes:

You can mix it up by throwing in right turns, too.

You've got to be consistent and patient. Start out when you've got a while to let it work to the point where the dog "gets it." This isn't a maintenance thing, it's a way to teach the dog that staying with you = good; wandering away on their own = "Don't I feel stupid." It should only take a session or two, with very occasional reminders thereafter.

Good luck!