BC Boards

Every one of my dogs has a terrible stop. Just that tiny little push when I ask them to stop either on or off balance. It drives me nuts but I feel powerless to fix it. It's not even a step in most of the time - just a teeny little lean.

If I start correcting it when they stop, I feel like I start getting resistance to their stopping at all. That would be the extend of the tools in my toolbox. :rolleyes:

Arrrggggh. I'd love to fix this - if I'm ever to trial I know I have to - but it even kills me doing chores. Things are twice as hard as they need to be when the sheep get "bumped" instead of settled when I need them quiet.

Every one of my dogs has a terrible stop. Just that tiny little push when I ask them to stop either on or off balance. It drives me nuts but I feel powerless to fix it. It's not even a step in most of the time - just a teeny little lean.

If I start correcting it when they stop, I feel like I start getting resistance to their stopping at all. That would be the extend of the tools in my toolbox. :rolleyes:

Arrrggggh. I'd love to fix this - if I'm ever to trial I know I have to - but it even kills me doing chores. Things are twice as hard as they need to be when the sheep get "bumped" instead of settled when I need them quiet.

Have you tried stepping toward the dog while asking for the stop(every time), then stepping back when you get it? If not, I'll go into more detail.

Jeanne

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since you haven't responded to my question, and I really would like to help you out, plus someone else might be interested, I'll go into detail anyway

The key to a good stop is consistancy, and getting it right close up before asking for it at a distance. Each dog is different, so you have to get a feel for your dog and how much pressure is needed in order to get the response you want. Begin by working in a circle with you being close to the sheep and the dog flanking around the sheep. Begin by letting the dog go to balance and as you ask for the stop, take a step directly into the dog's face. This will be enough pressure to get an immediate stop from a sensitive dog . Harder dogs and dogs who have been getting away with a sloppy stop or no stop at all might need a bit more convincing, such at popping your training stick on the ground directly at his face or taking a few running steps directly at his face. It's okay if the dog gives ground a bit, but the main thing is to get the dog stopped the instant you ask. Now, this is important, so don't forget this part. As soon as your dog hits the deck, immediately ask him back to work. This is his reward for stopping well. If he refuses to stop immediatly, then once you have him down, make him lay there a while. Count to five or something. Just enough to give him time to think about things and begin to realize that the sooner he stops, the sooner he gets to go back to work. Now start asking for off balance stops. Use the same steps, except instead of letting the dog fetch, ask for another flank after he stops.

Once the dog is consistantly stopping well, start doing short outruns. You may need to do it all again. Let him find balance, and as soon as he turns in but before he lifts the sheep, ask for the stop while at the same time moving toward him. Just go through the same steps and gradually get more distance when you feel the dog is ready. If at any point, you start to loose the stop, take a few stepps back in your training.

If you have questions about any of this, please feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been so long - I lost track of this because I use the "view new posts" feature to save time browsing the boards!

This dog is incredibly sensitive to physical pressure and will simply leave if I try to interfere with body language. I could do the same thing you suggest, though, with a verbal correction - I see now from what you have described that my problem is most likely timing. I'm letting him take those extra steps while I stand there going, "Hmmm. Not stopping. Wonder what we should do now?" Which is basically a summary of my handling skills in general. :rolleyes:

Yup. I just did a bit where I assumed he would go those extra steps and followed the command with an immediate but very soft correction. Success! An interesting side effect - he's relaxing on his flanks too. Thank you!