BC Boards

Cord Learning to Work the Pen

Ben's my pen dog. But, it's really, really time for him to retire. How this usually works is, I get sheep in the pen, then the dog stays out far enough to keep the sheep from charging the front of the pen so I can keep the gate open, but not so close that I can't push sheep out. Then he's supposed to keep the split off sheep from getting back in the pen. Ben's extremely good at this.

Obviously, Cord's got a lot to learn. We actually were on a very tight schedule that morning so this is me managing, not training. Normally I don't even physically handle the sheep in the pen, but Cord was much too close. I'll have to work on acclimating Cord to relieving the pressure around the pen.

My cameraman is Joey, my six year old son. He was a great sport, but without a tripod just didn't have the stamina to show more than the first lamb out of the pen. The rest was brilliant, you'll just have to trust me on that. :rolleyes: *ha, ha, ha . . . .*

okay, your son is just too funny! I can just picture him making faces about his arm!!!! I like when the Pyr (is it?) touches noses with the sheep and wags his tail. I also noted the same thing that happens to me- when in certain situations, I yell LIE DOWN! and the sheep get all jumpy- like they KNOW that dog is being bad, and something is coming....

Julie

PJ is growing out of the giant "youth" sized Penn shirt you gave him the first time you met him. Joey wore it for the first time the other night at VBS. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the sheep took a little jump there. It was OK, they went the direction I needed them to go but I don't like to rattle them in the pen if possible.

We'll figure it out. The weather has been blessedly cool this week - perfect for training!

Great stuff!!! I love the "lie down. LIE DOWN. LIE DOWN!" It's just too familiar. Only with me, probably because there is no 6 year old within earshot, my next remark would be, "Why do you make me tell you 3 f***ing times?!" :rolleyes: I'm envious--I wish I had access to a video camera. Keep 'em coming!

Anna