BC Boards

Supplement question

Maralynn

I use human grade fish body oil & vit e and human grade glucosamine/MSM supplements for my dogs. I've thought about ordering supplements made for dogs, but am not sure if there is really an advantage to using those. I'd use them if I thought it would be a better way to go, but when I look at the active ingredients, they seem to be just about the same. And I can get human grade products for quite a bit cheaper when they're on sale around here.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Our vet told me to get green lipped muscle capsules at the chemist because they were cheaper and did the same job. I suppose it may depend on the dosage but if its about the same why not?

Maybe you could check with the vet because I also had a neighbour who regularly gave her small terrier an asprin as a pain killer. Unfortunately it wasn't suitable for him and he became seriously ill and developed stomach cancer! I don't want to scare`you but it is important to check.

Absolutely you can use human grade supplements. I've been doing that for years with salmon oil, vitamin C & E. When Jack had demodex, and I was working on boosting his immune system, I used a bunch of different stuff with him, all human grade.

ETA: Oh, I just realized you asked about glucosamine/MSM...I'm not positive about those, since I haven't used them. Sorry.