BC Boards

problems with drive

I've been trying to teach my dog the drive. I stand near him and walk towards the sheep. I see he is very concentrated, he looks direct into the sheep and paces slowly, very attentive. We walk together and when we are very close, I make him stop and we start again.

I do that once or twice without problems. But when I repeat this exercise for the third time, I don't know why, but he stucks, looks at the sheep and seems to be hipnotised. He stares at the sheep and stands like a statue, sometimes with the legs in the air just looling at the sheep.

I have tried to see if there is any change about the sheep, the direction they look, or the position of their heads, but it doesn't seem to be the cause.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

thanks a lot

Maristela

I've been trying to teach my dog the drive. I stand near him and walk towards the sheep. I see he is very concentrated, he looks direct into the sheep and paces slowly, very attentive. We walk together and when we are very close, I make him stop and we start again.

I do that once or twice without problems. But when I repeat this exercise for the third time, I don't know why, but he stucks, looks at the sheep and seems to be hipnotised. He stares at the sheep and stands like a statue, sometimes with the legs in the air just looling at the sheep.

I have tried to see if there is any change about the sheep, the direction they look, or the position of their heads, but it doesn't seem to be the cause.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

thanks a lot

Maristela

It sounds like you're being a bit too cautious. Your dog needs lots of encouragement to drive. Don't worry about flanking just yet. I like to have my dogs pushing forward and attempting to hold a line, in other words beginning to really understand driving, before I ask them to do any flanking.

Try asking your dog to walk into the sheep from a distance. Ideally the sheep should be fifty or so yards away. You and the dog walk quickly toward the sheep until they turn and move away. The turning away helps build confidence in the dog. If they walk away you can continue letting the dog drive them. Don't worry if the line isn't perfectly straight, but try to keep your dog from drifting around to head the sheep. If you think he's attempting this, simply lye him down, then immediatly ask him up again. Try not to discourage him from holding a line. If the dog is moving slowly or attempting to stop, move yourself more quickly while engouraging the dog. I do a lot of trotting. Your position should be away from the dog, but where he can see you at this point. Think of a triangle of sheep, with dog following and you out to the side and between the sheep and dog, but closer to parallel to the dog. Do not discourage the dog from pushing the sheep.

If, when you and the dog first approach the sheep, they turn and run, allow the dog to flank out around and catch the sheep(make sure the outrun is your idea). You do not want the dog to feel that the sheep are out of his control, so send him as soon as possible. Once you have the sheep back to you, start the drive away again. It helps to get a relatively straight line and sheep that walk (as opposed to running) if you move them away from any pressure on the field.

Remember that driving takes time to develop. Don't expect perfection, and give lots of encouragement. Don't over do the driving during your training sessions. Be sure to do lots of gathering also.

Jeanne

It sounds like you're being a bit too cautious. Your dog needs lots of encouragement to drive. Don't worry about flanking just yet. I like to have my dogs pushing forward and attempting to hold a line, in other words beginning to really understand driving, before I ask them to do any flanking.

Try asking your dog to walk into the sheep from a distance. Ideally the sheep should be fifty or so yards away. You and the dog walk quickly toward the sheep until they turn and move away. The turning away helps build confidence in the dog. If they walk away you can continue letting the dog drive them. Don't worry if the line isn't perfectly straight, but try to keep your dog from drifting around to head the sheep. If you think he's attempting this, simply lye him down, then immediatly ask him up again. Try not to discourage him from holding a line. If the dog is moving slowly or attempting to stop, move yourself more quickly while engouraging the dog. I do a lot of trotting. Your position should be away from the dog, but where he can see you at this point. Think of a triangle of sheep, with dog following and you out to the side and between the sheep and dog, but closer to parallel to the dog. Do not discourage the dog from pushing the sheep.

If, when you and the dog first approach the sheep, they turn and run, allow the dog to flank out around and catch the sheep(make sure the outrun is your idea). You do not want the dog to feel that the sheep are out of his control, so send him as soon as possible. Once you have the sheep back to you, start the drive away again. It helps to get a relatively straight line and sheep that walk (as opposed to running) if you move them away from any pressure on the field.

Remember that driving takes time to develop. Don't expect perfection, and give lots of encouragement. Don't over do the driving during your training sessions. Be sure to do lots of gathering also.

Jeanne