BC Boards

Recommendation for Initial Steps

Hello and thanks for your help.

In a nutshell, what should a newbie dog be focused on during her initial "on sheep" experiences? I potentially have an opp/opps for my dog to run sheep around a pen. Hailey has done this once. Should she be given more "free" runs? Or should we immediately contain and direct the activity? Your suggestions for some good beginner basic resources would also be appreciated. I don't have any herding experience, so I won't be trying to train her, but I would appreciate some pointers on how these sessions can be structured. (And if it doesn't matter, then we'll just go out and have fun.)

Hello and thanks for your help.

In a nutshell, what should a newbie dog be focused on during her initial "on sheep" experiences? I potentially have an opp/opps for my dog to run sheep around a pen. Hailey has done this once. Should she be given more "free" runs? Or should we immediately contain and direct the activity? Your suggestions for some good beginner basic resources would also be appreciated. I don't have any herding experience, so I won't be trying to train her, but I would appreciate some pointers on how these sessions can be structured. (And if it doesn't matter, then we'll just go out and have fun.)

It definately does matter! Border Collies are incredibly fast learners. If you intend to ever train her, you won't want the baggage that comes with allowing her to "work" on her own. She needs guidance from day one. The most important components of starting a dog are 1. a handler who knows what they're doing and 2. well dogged sheep. You didn't say where you live, but there are accomplished trainer/teachers in most parts of the country. I can't stress enough how important getting experienced help really is. If you'll tell me where you live, I can hopefully give you some help with who to contact.

Jeanne

It definately does matter! Border Collies are incredibly fast learners. If you intend to ever train her, you won't want the baggage that comes with allowing her to "work" on her own. She needs guidance from day one. The most important components of starting a dog are 1. a handler who knows what they're doing and 2. well dogged sheep. You didn't say where you live, but there are accomplished trainer/teachers in most parts of the country. I can't stress enough how important getting experienced help really is. If you'll tell me where you live, I can hopefully give you some help with who to contact.

Jeanne

Correction and Update: i live in SW ID--(early altzheimer's).

Hi Jeanne:

Thanks! I live in ID and have/know some resources, but feel free to add to the list. (The famous folks--Patrick S. & Co. are not training during the summer, fyi.)