BC Boards

New parent with questions???

Hi everyone... I am new to the forum and just got my border collie a month ago(She is 12 weeks now). Lexi was great with potty training until about a week ago and this is where my questions stem from. She used to "go potty" as soon as I let her out and rarely had an accident in the house. She has recently started holding it as long as she can and has pretty much stopped going outside at all. I stay outside with her on the leash for 15-30 minutes and take her back in and crate her if she doesn't go but this hasn't seemed to make a difference. She does go inside if she can but I keep her leashed to me inside now. Yesterday I got home from work at 3:30PM and let her out immediately she did not go. I continued to crate and let her out at 15 minute intervals and still nothing. I went to dinner at 7 and when I returned she had gone in her crate.

She is an inside dog but we are very active with her... daily walks, hiking trails, swimming at the lake, running and playing with my other dog in the field and so on so she gets a great deal of exercise, attention and love.

We took her to the vet earlier in the week and he asked for a urine sample but I can't get one if she doesn't go. She seems very happy and healthy eating well and playing etc. I feel like this is more of a behavioral issue than anything else so does anyone have any ideas or tips to get her going back outside?

Thanks!

Sorry if this is on the wrong discussion board I wasn't sure where to place this question...

Well welcome to the boards. Lexi is a beautiful pup.

As far as the potty training goes I'm sure someone else can help more. Do you take her to the same spot to "go potty"? that could be part of the problem. If you walk her around to different places maybe she doesn't have a spot to go. I know Black Jack has his spots that he goes, if he can't go there most of the time he'll hold it until he can. Did you switch spots you were taking her to? She might be to busy smelling and looking around.

I would keep working on her with what your doing. Take her out to go, if she doesn't go bring her back in. Then take her back out in ten minutes or so to go again and make sure you use the same command so she gets to know it. If she keeps going in the house she won't need or want to go outside. Just keep it up and see if she gets better. Good luck.

May I ask how you're responding to indoor accidents? I know you're not beating up the dog, don't worry. :rolleyes: It's just I've known dogs, usually very sensitive souls, who will become "reverse house-trained" if they feel a big deal has been made about their mistakes. They're not being vengeful, they just can't handle dissaproval and sort of freak out on the whole process.

Any possibility of letting her off-leash inside, but keeping an eye on her and keeping her close to an exit? If you could pick her up and put her outside just before she squats, she might go outside and then you'd have a chance to tell her how wonderful she is.

May I ask how you're responding to indoor accidents? I know you're not beating up the dog, don't worry. :rolleyes: It's just I've known dogs, usually very sensitive souls, who will become "reverse house-trained" if they feel a big deal has been made about their mistakes. They're not being vengeful, they just can't handle dissaproval and sort of freak out on the whole process.

Any possibility of letting her off-leash inside, but keeping an eye on her and keeping her close to an exit? If you could pick her up and put her outside just before she squats, she might go outside and then you'd have a chance to tell her how wonderful she is.

When I catch her going I try to make a noise like clapping or saying her name loudly to stop her and then get her outside right away... I just read recently though that you shouldn't let them watch you clean up which I have been letting her do. As far as punishment I just say "no potty in the house" in a low voice but not yelling and then after she goes outside she goes in her cage for about 15 minutes before I start the cycle all over again. I'm pretty patient with her I think.

As far as letting her off the leash goes... that is something new I am trying. She give virtually no warning signs...Lexi will be playing with Stewart my other dog and out of no where start peeing. I tried the leash the last couple days because she doesn't go when she is that close to me.

Thanks for the help so far... these are some good ideas

You may want to try leaving out the clapping/saying her name loudly, and just picking her up and taking her out without comment. She may be associating urination with being startled, so she holds it until she's alone.

I'll try that and cross my fingers :rolleyes:

When I clean up an accident, I bring the paper towel outside with her and put it in her "potty spot" That way she knows that it should go there. It seems to work. Pick it up and throw it away when she can't see you. Also, has it been raining there? My puppy kept trying to smell around for her potty spot after a huge rain storm. She couldn't find it and I guess decided she would make a new one inside. She hadn't had an accident in 3 days before that. Now that she has found her spot again, she has been going there. I just had to put the paper towel down and the next time she went up to it, smelled it and went just fine.

When I clean up an accident, I bring the paper towel outside with her and put it in her "potty spot" That way she knows that it should go there. It seems to work. Pick it up and throw it away when she can't see you. Also, has it been raining there? My puppy kept trying to smell around for her potty spot after a huge rain storm. She couldn't find it and I guess decided she would make a new one inside. She hadn't had an accident in 3 days before that. Now that she has found her spot again, she has been going there. I just had to put the paper towel down and the next time she went up to it, smelled it and went just fine.

That is interesting that you say that because I live in Florida and we're in a drought so we haven't had any rain until last week.... and we got a lot! Maybe that could be it.