BC Boards

Taking Time

Guest kimkathan

Guest kimkathan

I have noticed that most novice handlers don't really have a solid "take time" on their dogs. I for one know that I don't on a consistant basis. I like to see a dog "choke up" on itself. In other words, see a noticible slowing of the dog. Do you have any advice on how to start this, and how to build into this?

Guest Kelliwic

Kim,

I'm interested in the answers/suggestions for your questions too. Guess we have to hang in there at this time of year. :rolleyes: I have a dog with a few months training and she doesn't race down the field as you mentioned in your other post, but she does fetch fairly quickly. I have to move pretty fast to wear the sheep with her, most times. Some days are better than others. I trust my instructor entirely and I know he'll tell me what we need to do (and if her pace even an issue right now; it's probably just a "mileage" and maturity thing), but nevertheless, am curious what different approaches might be used. She did seem to be responding to my "easy" the few times I thought to try it (I get so tongue-tied when I need to give commands, it's really unbelievable!).

Her mother also tends to push the sheep a little fast sometimes, but I don't think with her it's a "pace" issue as much as just not staying far enough off them (not sure if I am clearly describing the difference?).

Sorry I have been very busy with the Finals the past few weeks. Though Francis may have had computer access from the field I was out in it with the sheep. I will compose a reply as soon as possible.

Good questions,

Ellen

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Take time,

A good walk/pace may be bred into the dog, or built. patiently over time. What I see with many new handlers is that they really want/need the dog and sheep to be moving at the same pace that they themselves can walk backward (which for most of us given the amount of practice we get at it is very slow) before they move on to other areas such as driving and lengthening the outrun. For trial purposes and for most work purposes this is too slow. We work on a few dog broke sheep which are often trying to crawl into our pockets the second they hear a rumor there may be a young dog around. We end up removing a lot of power and confidence in the dog that will be very difficult to regain with many dogs.

I find that teaching the dog to feel where the 'flight zone' is and work on the edge of it, generally precludes the need for a specific 'take time' command. If a dog is pushing on too hard for my taste, increasing the speed of the sheep with every step, I will make it lie down until the sheep settle. There are of course very pushy dogs and with these getting a good lie down is essential before lengthening distance. I also make sure that the dog has good flanks and understands working the flight zone before lengthening the distance too much.