BC Boards

Novice needs advice

Guest steve56

Guest steve56

Hi to all - I'm the owner of an adult border collie owner, living in the Chicago area; in July I'll be adopting a border collie puppy from a reputable breeder.

I'm looking for border collie clubs, associations, organizations, individual trainers, etc. in and around the Chicago area and northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin; my goal is to get my BCs involved in agility, flyball, and other activities, and train them to herd. My eventual aim to take part in herding trials and competitions.

I would be most grateful and much obliged for any information you could provide in this regard. I'd also be grateful for recommendations on books about raising and training BCs.

Thank you all ...

Steve W.

Guest ellen

Hi Steve,

Welcome to border collies. There is a very good club in Wisconsin. They host a lot of fun days and clinics I believe. The contact person is Amy Armstrong. I only have an address for them-- WI working Stock Dog Association, 1957 County PB, Verona WI 53593. The Illinois Club contact is LInda Hirsch, 618-458-6435. lhirsch@wholenet.net. These folks should be able to put you in touch with trainers and events in your area. Best of luck,

Ellen

Guest ellen

Check out the Border Collies in Action website. www.bordercollies.com. There is a broad selection of books and videos (besides I work there) we are friendly and helpful.

You might want to start to talking to your local realtor about the availability of small farms too. Hah :wink: This sport can be addictive.

Guest steve56

Ellen:

Re "You might want to start to talking to your local realtor about the availability of small farms too. Hah Wink This sport can be addictive."

I'm counting on it being addictive! The border collie I have now I got as a pup over nine years ago and she still fascinates me. She's going on 10 and she's as active as she was when she was just a few months old.

I fell in love with border collies during my many trips to Ireland to visit my ancestral home (my mother's family is from Ireland). At first my wife and I would go to all the regular tourist sites in addition to finding where my family lived. But then we saw border collies at work ... and we were hooked. Now when we go to Ireland we head straight into the west and look for fields and farms where the border collies are doing their thing. That's a great vacation for us! I've been wanting to get another BC for a long time, and that time is (finally) now. We've already seen our new girl; she's just a few weeks old, recently opened her eyes. We'll be picking her up in July. Can't wait!

Thanks again for your advice. BTW, I perused your web site--it's great! I'll be returning to it often, I reckon.

Steve