BC Boards

Whistles

Guest Fallowfields

Guest Fallowfields

There are a number of theories when it comes to putting whistles on a dog. Quick, exciting whistles for quieter, calmer dogs; smoother whistles for excitable dogs. Two note whistles or three notes. Do you have a method that you prefer in choosing a set of whistles for a particular dog? As you can probably tell, I am at that stage. I am working with a young dog that (so far) works pretty calm as long as I stay calm.

Guest Amanda

I am a bad person to ask about this---all my dogs are on the same whistles. I learned them from Jim Cropper, many years ago. I must be linguistically challenged beacuse I am either unable to use others or unwilling to take a chance on it, sort of like driving on the wrong side of the road inn the UK--at the last critical second , you would turn the fatal old familiar way.

Using whistles that can be flexible down the road is important regardless of which ones you chose. You ought also to use whistles that you can consistently blow and be sure to differentiate pitch wise when required. I have seen losts of hands blur their stop and flank whistles with nasty results. If it was hard for me to distinguish them, it must have been hell for the dog. Keeping your whistles clearly different will help prevent that. And keeping them clearly different is part of the nervousness about which you are speaking--the pitch goes wild with excitement.

Guest Fallowfields

You aptly described the pitfalls of choosing whistles. Can you describe the whistles you use? Pleeeeeeze?

And, thanks Amanda ... your time on Littlehats was remarkable.

Guest Amanda

Whistles?

One last answer.

I use a curly cue to the left.

A long low upward whistle to the right.

Two short high upward whistles to walk up and a standard high descending whistle for stop.

Thank you listers for all your intersting questions and comments. I have enjoyed the sandbox while it was mine, and look forward to a fresh perspective on dogging from Ellen.

Dave YOung's trial in Brome, Quebec, June 24, 25 is no to be missed. The sight that warms the heart of any Canadian--The RCMP MUsical ride will be there in force. "The charge." " The Reversing Circles!" You know, the Mounties, the men in red, who always get their man.

yours

Amanda

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tara

Hi Ellen - Glad to have your advice

I have a six year old (who has taught me what little I know) and have recently acquired a three year old, trained dog. Their flank whistles are perfectly reversed--the older dog's come is the young dog's away, etc. Their stop, walk up and lie down whistles are similar.

Amanda describes the problem perfectly: I do my best to focus on which dog and which whistles I'm using, but at the last moment I make the fatal wrong turn. Even when I get it right, my timing is off because I'm thinking of which whistle to use.

It isn't working. I need to change something. I would rather not try to change the younger dog's whistles as he is the better dog and is already coping with change.

Is it reasonable to ask the older dog to learn new flank whistles? One open handler recommended that I find two completely new sounds rather than try to reverse the existing flanks. That would probably be easier for the dog, but I'm not sure I will handle it any better than the current situation.

Thanks.

Tara

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ellen

Hi Tara,

I know the problem, and it is one. The reversed whistles will definitely not work for you. Unfortunately trying to reverse the older dog's whistles will probably not work for her. She may seem to get them, but in high pressure situations, where the sheep are suggesting one thing and you are asking for something else she will probably get confused and everybody will be upset. I go with the recommendation for giving her a completely new set of whistles, tough as it may be.

Good luck,

Ellen