BC Boards

Training on Wild Sheep

Guest Fallowfields

Guest Fallowfields

In an earlier post you indicated you preferred to train on un-puppy sheep, in fact you said the wilder the better. I have a young dog and I do not have puppy sheep. My sheep, a flock of yearlings, run and this causes the dog to have a heck of a time getting to the balance point where we can begin to actually accomplish something. I am not using a round pen, but a small field. I can tell she has a nice outrun and she will lie down on balance. I'd like to keep using the yearlings as they hold up well, but it doesn't seem like we are going to make progress unless I always have someone hold. I haven't trained a youngster in some time, am I missing something?

Guest Amanda

I like being called on things I’ve said. Thanks.

I haven’t seen your sheep but maybe the number is off. For instance, if there were more of them, maybe they would run less.

A young dog has to have a level of speed and competence to get around wild sheep alright. Maybe you are being premature about cutting him or her loose on the wild ones. Try some steady ones for a week and then go back. You are not missing anything. Gear every young dog for successful training sessions and if you can’t get successful on the wilder ones, tone it down. I wish I had those sheep right now.