BC Boards

Outrun Problems

Guest Bart

One of my border collies who used to overun and ring has now stopped and brings them perfectly after he gets to 12, the problem is that when he has to get them up a steep hill he starts out fast but then slows down almost to a crawl until he gets to them. I then have to whistle him around and then he brings them back fine. How can I get him to go out at the same speed as when he is on level ground?

My other BC is still too intense when I send him (it doesn't matter if it is 2 yards or 200, on level or up a hill) and he comes up behind them perfectly but when they start moving he gets excited and splits them and pushes them down the hill way too fast. They are panting when then get to me, where my other bc when they arrive are calm and relaxed.

What can I do?

Guest Bart

Is there an answer to my problem especially with my one bc. who does not always bring all the sheep the first time. Maybe I should have a smaller group, i have been using 14

Guest Amanda

Maybe the hill is too steep for him. Maybe he has an aching back. (I had that last weekend). Send him on the flat, and see what happens.

As for the second one, how dare you let him split them up. Better run up that field and say how do you do, intensity notwithstanding. Out intense him.

14 is a good number of sheep on which to train. Make that dog bring every last one of them.