BC Boards

Slow lift

Guest elayne

Guest elayne

Hi Amanda,

I need some ideas on how to get my dog to lift quicker. He does have a lot of eye. His outruns are deep but the majority of the time he stops dead on the money without my ever giving a lie-down or stop whistle. He has a lot of eye. He is so thoughtful on the lift it is like watching paint dry. He used to have the fastest fetch but I have worked on slowing that down.I've given many fast walkup whistles and tried sounding like a cheerleader to egg him on. He is much much better when there is no one holding sheep.

Also, he will not work when a set out person is giving commands to their dogs. He just turned 6 and it appears the older he is getting the worse the situation.

Thanks for your help.

Elayne

Elayne

Guest Amanda

Elayne

I have been thinking about your question, trying to come up with something positive or hopeful. But I do not think there is anything.

“He just turned 6 and it appears the older he is getting the worse the situation.” That just about sums up the outcome of too much eye. I feel it is an impossible thing to genuinely fight. Maybe there are some experts who disagree. I do not know any experts who would themselves, carry on with a dog with too much eye. It is a handicap and a tremendous frustration. Make sure your next dog is freer. We always seem to cling to anything not having the problem with which we just coped, in the last dog. So you’l be after the plain type and you will feel liberated getting it.