BC Boards

Lie Down....LIE DOWN

Guest kimkathan

Guest kimkathan

OK, the subject title should just about cover it. This may give you #97 The question is, how would you go about enforcing an older dog (just turned 3) to lie down and stay down. I have a working down (stop on her feet, but can move as balance changes) and a lie down, which is lie down til another command is given. I have gone back to working on a long lie with this girl. When working up close she'll down like a dream, however once she crosses the half way line, she'll take about 7 or 8 steps til she'll down or if it's on a lift and the sheep are moving, more. I have blown up the field and gotten in her face. It seems like she's afraid that the sheep are getting away. If the sheep aren't moving all that much she's OK. When I leave the line on her and let her drag it, she works like a dream. At home today we ran the equavalant of a Rach course. A little rough, but none the less. In a strange place and the energy of a trial, I'm afraid she won't even be able to run in N/N. I don't want to win necessarly, just finish the course.

Guest Amanda

Kim

I'm sorry I forgot my user name and couldn't log on there for a couple of days. You know the answer to the Lie down..... Lie down. Be more consistent. If you have to have something from your dog--insist. Without going big distances, where she appears to take advantage of you, chose a medium. and be an enforcer at that distance before you go further. Convince her you will be a forceful presence at the distance she presumes you will not be.

And go to trials to win. It is way more fun. Aim high.

Amanda

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Empress

I am having trouble insisting on a down at the top. I want to go back to a long line, but I don't know how to use it from a 180* distance facing the dog (sheep in between). He comes in too hard, pushing the sheep past and then doesn't want to down because they are booking it past me.

So, how can I use the long line in this situation?

Thanks

Guest Amanda

The long line really doesn't apply in your situation. You can try having one on your dog and bluff about its usefulness, but they cotton on quick enough to that. There is no replacement for meeting your dog face to face and of course, timing being everything as close to the second of the transgression, the better. Make it unpleasant for him to disobey.

Amanda

Guest kimkathan

Amanda

Thanks for the advice. I actually was working horses, and cracked a whip and noticed that the sound REALLY got her attention. Now, when we go out to work, I'll take a lunge whip and give her a down or a steady, and if she dosen't take it, immediatly crack it. She's getting to where she's starting to drop quite readily, and will slow up noticibly.

Also, Nancy Phillips came by the farm today with Susie. She's a nice little, thoughtful dog and seems to have adapted quite well. Guess they're heading to the CT trial this weekend.