BC Boards

100 posts

Guest Amanda

Guest urbana

Okay, want 100 posts; I have been working my dogs for a while, and have a new question. The 2 ½ year old male, I have previously posted about, is a very keen pushy, yet sensitive guy. He still has his days where he blows through the lift. I have decided to just put him away every time he does this, as I now have a second dog to play with. It seems to be working out better, as he hasn’t been bad two days in a row.

I am now also training a 1 1/2 year old female who is VERY different from my male. She is keen to work, but she pulls off the sheep way too nicely. When I say "go get water", "that'll do", "okay that's good", or "here" she comes running to my feet or to the water bucket. Her recall is the best I have ever seen. Almost always coming at 110 mile per hour. But I don't know whether I like this or not on the sheep. Is this being soft, or wanting to please me, or being young?

My male had to be dragged away on a leash at that age.

Thus far she has been progressing very nicely. She is very nice to her sheep, and seems to know when not to lie down. The problem is I usually had said, “lie down” and she gives me a very nice stand or slows to a very slow walk. It technically is exactly what is needed to make she sheep do what I wanted, but I feel like since I said down, I should mean down. So I want to put a “stand” and “take time” on her instead of a “down”. I want to take advantage of her being able to read the sheep and not down her too much. I want to make sure she lies down when I say down. Is that too much for a young dog? Does she need to learn to down after every “outrun”? My male gave me no choice in this matter. So I am confused as to how much freedom to give her.

Also, she looks at me with total focus to try to figure out what I want and stops looking at the sheep whenever I give a correction. My male never looks at me while working. Could I be giving it too hard for her? If I just let her work, She eventually gets way to close to the sheep and they bugger off in 10 directions. I try to correct her right before she get too close, but should I allow her to figure that out more on her own?

Sorry so many questions. I really like both my pups, and I hope to do good by both of them no matter how different they are form each other.

Guest Amanda

Look on the bright side and think she wants to please you.

" Is that too much for a young dog? Does she need to learn to down after every “outrun”? My male gave me no choice in this matter. So I am confused as to how much freedom to give her. "

Sounds like you are working that out well—giving words to the right things she does when you say lie down and you will actually accept less.

"Also, she looks at me with total focus to try to figure out what I want and stops looking at the sheep whenever I give a correction. My male never looks at me while working. Could I be giving it too hard for her? "

YOU might be using too much visual communication, like hands swinging. Keep your hands in your pockets for while.

"If I just let her work, She eventually gets way to close to the sheep and they bugger off in 10 directions. I try to correct her right before she get too close, but should I allow her to figure that out more on her own? "

You should do some of both—try to stop her just before it happens. If she causes a mess, let have it and start over doing it properly.

Everyone wants to do well by their dogs. I am glad you are no exception.

yours

Amanda