BC Boards

Manure eating while working

Guest kimkathan

Guest kimkathan

Amanda -

First off thank you for all your advice! From someone who is few and far between for training assistance it is much appreciated.

My dog is becoming ready to seriously trial now(crazy dog in the last Expert post) We've began to work in 5 minute incriments and no longer, twice in the morning and once at night, and she's really starting to come around. My next problem to correct is the fact that she'll snatch up manure on the go (I don't think this is really accepted at a trial while running?) The only times she seems to do this is when she's asked to do something she dosen't like (long drives and slowing down/take time. She really likes to move) I'd like to start to seriously trial her this year, but cannot seem to break her of this habit. I understand that some of it is probably stress and have tried to walk with her and encourage her along, but at times it seems as though she'll look to me quick and then snatch some on the go. How hard should I get on her for this, and is there anything I can do to stop this, short of dosing every pile in the field with cyanne? I was told when she was younger that it was a young dog thing, and that she'd outgrow it, so I didn't get on her that hard about it then. Was this a major mistake not to?

Guest Amanda

Kim

Sounds like you are doing a good job and you’re getting ready to go to the post. Afterall, that’s the goal. The manure eating thing is, as you speculate a stress habit. It’s a vice, like a cribbing horse. I know of no way to stop it. Even if you see it happen early in a dog’s training and lay off, it still rears its ugly head down the road. If the manure wasn’t there, she might just sniff, or grab grass. You can keep doing as you are, and encourage her. But I don’t know of a way to stop it. Getting on to her is no use as it only would worsen the trouble. I do not think she will outgrow it. You made no major mistakes. Just like what she’s eating, it happens. It will affect the stylistic side of her runs. But depending on the class in which you are running, it might have such a serious impact. It sounds as though she is a useful bitch who has taught you a lot and you’ll be watching for that problem down the road. No one like to see it

Amanda