BC Boards

preperation for trialing

Guest kimkathan

Guest kimkathan

I have a 2 1/2 y.o who is ready to start trialing, EXCEPT for one thing....her attitude when she first goes out onto the field.

She very willing to work, almost too, willing. This causes her to be so excited every time we walk out to do anything that she's full bore all the way out, a fast lift, and then will consider slowing down on the fetch(from then on she's a gem to work). The one down fall to this is that if the sheep are lite and move in the least, she's there to cover, but can feel that they are going to get away and can on great frequency go in a grip to stop a run away.

I have been told, if she's acting the least bit overexuberent when you send her out the first time (at home or at a trial), stop her, call her back , walk off and then crate her up to think about it. Maybe I'm too out to lunch on this, but I don't see how she'd associate being pulled off and not being let to work with having to focus and start right. My fear with doing this is that she's going to start out even faster, thinking that she needs to get as much done before she gets called off, and this could make things worse.

I can stop her anywhere on a outrun, redirect or call her back. She's also, squaring up nicely on her flanks, and will down or stand, and is driving comfortably up to 30yds. She'd do quite well at trials if only we can get her to start with intention rather than exictment.

Any advice on starting a do out on the right foot, in preperation for trialing?

<small>[ March 20, 2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Kim Kathan ]</small>

Guest Amanda

Yes I do have some advice. It’s my job.

If you properly take care of this at home, you can minimize the over the top stuff at trials.

Do not put away a dog running wrong. Put it away, having done something it can do well. So shorten things up and make sure she is doing it well at hand, ensuring that you, the hand, are near her when she is about to go wrong. Timing is everything here, just like in real life. If she isn’t really doing it at home, and that’s a challenge to believe, contrive a trial situation. Get your friends to spot. Get nervous. Let her feel it. Practice makes perfect.

Amanda

Guest Heather

Hi, Everyone:

Just a reminder that the "Ask the Expert" forum is exclusively for the resident expert--in this case, Amanda. Feel free to post training thoughts and ideas in the other forums, but for this one is exclusively Amanda's sandbox. I'm removing training posts that weren't written by Amanda, just because I want to keep this particular forum clean and tidy. Thanks for indulging my anal tendencies!

<small>[ March 22, 2006, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]</small>