BC Boards

Overflanking on the outrun

Guest Shoofly

Guest Shoofly

Hey Amanda -

First, it's really been a joy having you here answering questions, i've really enjoyed it.

So, in the spirit of keeping it going --

Young dog, not quite 2, overshoots the top on his outruns. He goes a fair distance then comes back to lift nice and straight, and he's mostly pretty deep so not slashing the sheep as he goes around. I've not fretted too much about it since i'm usually battling the opposite problem with my dogs stopping short, and i figure i can always stop the youngster before he whips over too far. Should i be fretting more and doing something about this now? Will it haunt me in some way i'm not thinking of in the future? He's a pretty biddable sort of dog, tres enthusiastic on his way out, has a bit of eye, just for more info for you.

Guest Amanda

Thank you Robin. It's a relief to be source of joy to someone or something.

What a nice problem to have, overshooting. The undershooting problem is more malevolent.

But you are good thoughtful handler. Stop him at twelve and do it right. Get you dog accustomed to doing it right--particularly, as you say, with his having a bit of eye.

If he learns well you'll have those great moments when he gets to twelve and "Bang" 20 points, 20 easy points. I love that.

Amanda

Guest Shoofly

Okay, sounds great. Do you have any suggestions for the chronic underflanker at the top? I have one of those as well. Runs out well but her eye kicks in and she'll pull up short, then walk in with gusto - a weird sort of eye i think, would expect her to be more sticky on the lift but no. Going around the top is the only place i ever see any ill effect from her eye around a course, she's a strong bitch and will always walk up with a good "get moving" attitude. She's 4 and running Open.

Guest Amanda

Four years old is getting entrenched.

However, when you run her at home, send her so she has to overshoot to be right. That can be arranged by adjusting where you set your sheep you are gathering. Stopping short will fully expose her derelict behaviour. It’ll do it in spades. And when it does, let her know you don’t like it. No uncertain terms. Then get her back and do it again. Hopefully she’ll do it as she should. Bang. 20 points.

Amanda