BC Boards

killing chickens/attacking sheep and cow

Guest tammyinmo

Guest tammyinmo

We have a three year old female border collie named Liberty. When we got her, it was with the intent of training her to herd our small flock of sheep. We trained her daily to sit, stay, come, etc.... Unfortunately, when we would let her off leash, if there was any animal nearby, she would "attack" it. She has killed several of our chickens, a kitten, attacked our sheep and even our full grown dairy cow. We are figuring that she is untrainable in regards to animals. Is there any hope, or should we just give up?

• 2 months later...
Guest Ragtimelil

I have a little twist on the killing chickens question. I have a few bcs who will not only kill chickens but kill lambs. They all work sheep and won't even grip when I ask them to, but I lost one lamb that got loose to the dogs this spring and almost lost another one just now. Neither of their parents do this. In fact, I can use the mother to help me catch loose rabbits. She will just try to herd it. But her daughters would kill it instantly. It's usually in a situation when an animal, chicken, lamb or rabbit gets loose and the dogs are out for a run. I don't always see what's happening until it's too late. And I don't mean that it's always a pack situation. They would do it if they were the only dog out too.

I'm afraid they've just taught the pup to do it too. He was always very gentle but he got very excited about chasing the lamb.

Any suggestions other than hanging a lamb around their collective necks?

lil

Guest Amanda

Your management of those young dogs has to change--it is unsatisfactory. Either never let them loose or start worrrying them as much as they have been worrying the sheep. Sometimes a well place Maremma can deter worriers but it cannot be permitted. So stop them with severity or stop them with management.

Amanda