BC Boards

how much freedom

Guest Bart

I have been confining my dogs as you suggested and they have been doing very well with the sheep. Previously I spoiled my dogs where they used to be entertained 3 hours a day we are down to 1.5 at most. My oldest who is used to doing the most ( clikcer training, basketball, tracking, agility followng a rope etc) now is very intense on sheep and wants to herd all the time. And when the other dogs are working or he is left in the yard (about 1/2 acre) he has learned to get out and goes for his own hike in the mountains behind our house. I keep pretty close tabs on my dogs and I know when one is missing and I simply go to the top of the hill and whistle, he comes back not immediately but directly. Sometimes he will come back and wait at the top of the hill at the gate for someone to let him back in. I am very careful when I go somewhere new because if I get distracted and take my eye off him for even a few minutes he will take off and go exploring but of course he can track so he always can find his way back. I can hike with him off leash and he won't leave as long as he knows I am telling him to stay close. Any ideas?

Don't let him go for his own hike in the mountains--too mouch freedom. Tie him up if you have to.

I'm glad your dogs are working better. They will if they are not running free. Some one else will read what you say and do themselves and their dogs the favour of confining them.

yours

Amanda