BC Boards

Knowing when to help a dog

Guest elayne

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your recent post on purchasing a pup. It is an excellent piece of advise for people to follow. I can speak from experience.

Anyway, my new question is this. I have noticed that good handlers seem to have mastered a balance of knowing when to let a dog figure things out by themselves, when to help them, and when to tell them what to do. I realize that each dog is different. Is there something that you look for from the dog. Is this something that only comes from experience? Is it a personal preference? When my dog was a young pup it was much easier to see when he was in trouble, now at 2yrs I'm not as sure.

Thank you-

Elayne

The sheep tell you when your dog is in trouble. If they are stalled, for instance, and the dog is at his wits’ end to move them, you would want to help. Knowing your dog is as important as anything. Something that looks helpless, wants assistance. Dogs need to be successful. You could help in a couple of ways, like walking with him, encouraging him to take a piece of the action and therein be successful at moving them. Or you could just rearrange everything so the pressure is different and the dog enjoys success. Success builds confidence. Helping your dog shift sheep at first, should lessen the need to later. You will come to know his limits in the course of his training, and understand when he’s in a jam.

Similarly, if your sheep are all over the place, like cheap suits, your dog would apparently need your help, just to pull himself together. Walking out and being with him, can remind him of his moral responsibility to do as you ask. Sheep running wild, show he needs your help. Try not to send your dog into something that can never be won, especially a young one. We have all seen sheep dogged to death at a trial and some poor dog is sent in to salvage day and bring the resentful sheep back to the exhaust. The only thing that can worsen such a dog nightmare, is the hand who caused the mayhem, saying “See? They’re impossible,” as you are trying to take them off.